JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, as I like my lights (the more the better), switches, and complete control over everything I have... I decided I needed more switches. Being too cheap to buy some of the $400 switch boxes on the market I decided to make my own. I'm not done yet (still need to work on the paint), but thought I'd put it together to see what it looks like. I'm not yet ready to mount this, as I'm waiting for a few more things ordered to arrive.

I picked up two cases from polycase (both slightly different sizes), then got a bunch of toggle switches off of Ebay. This switch box will give me 8 switches, which will get mounted above the review mirror. The lid to the box will be mounted on the bottom. This will allow me to have some limited access without having to pull the head panel out to take this off. It'll also give me an easy method of mounting it above the mirror.

The switches are a little close together (15/16" on center), however as the lights will have a kill switch (where the power windows are), I don't think this will be an issue, as I shouldn't be reaching up there in a hurry.

Not all the switches will be used right off the bat, but everything will be wired to go ( all wires will be routed down the drivers side - even the ones not in use), so that when I need one, it's all ready and I just need to find the accessory wire, and wire w/e from the relay.

1) front spots
2) WS
3) front driving lights
4) possibly more lights
5) unused
6) unused
7) unused
8) ESP kill switch

Future mods:
OBA
rock lights
rear/area lights
interior lights
fan kill switch

EDIT:

My concern now is how heavy it is... it's not that heavy, but I don't know how much weight the panel will support...

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dammit... pics didn't show up... I guess that's what happens when you post at 4am...

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Looks good so far... the start of a new project! Keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
i see pics:D

looks good you could go a number of different ways with the box. you could do like zjr did and use a ziploc box:D i like toggle switches they are exspensive tho 9 bucks each at my ace
wow that is steep. around here you can pick up cheap ones for around 3 bucks. have you checked autozone/advanced auto parts?

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after a couple of months, now that I finally got my lights all mounted how I want, I decided it was time to get the switches sorted out.

The wiring was a complete bitch and took 2.5 days (it's also only the 2nd time I've wired lights - or anything really). In addition to the switch box, there's a master kill switch located where the power windows are. This controls/kills all the switches in the box except the 8th one - will be ESP switch.

Anyway here's a shot of it mounted - sorry for the crappy cell phone pic - I lost the camera charger. The weight wasn't an issue, and the 4 clips right around that area handle it fine. There's no movement at all when hitting the toggles, or when trying to move it around). Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of mounting it, but it's just 4 bolts thru the switch box and thru the panel - being careful to avoid the support clips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts