JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, just put on my AEV 4.5" lift and want to know what angles the front and rear sway bars should be at.

Should they both be at 0 degrees plus or minus 2 or 3?

or is the rear one different? The rear is mostly my concern, my rear track bar is pulled down quite a bit. I am pretty sure that I need to go ahead and get adj. sway bar links front and rear but would like some feedback.

The front one (rear links move to front) seems close but has some load on it (sway bar tilted up).

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
They both should be parallel with the ground.
X2 if they are not parallel the sway bar will not work at it's optimum, a few degrees either way won't make much difference.

The rear is less important as it does not do as much work, you can remove it, get longer/adjustable links, or live with it as it is. If the links are too short they may limit flex.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I was just looking at my jeep and the rear sway bar is pulled down a good ways..... It looks like if I raise the rear sway bar to the proper level it will be very close to the brake line drop bracket and brake line itself.... very very close.....

What exactly is the purpose of the rear sway bar and how will the jeep handle without it.... seems like it would be there for a reason, wether lifted or not..

thanks

·
Vendor
2,957 Posts
Also think about full droop or full articulation. One of the most common things we see when we rack a customers Jeep are too short anti-sway bar links. Not a real issue if you have disconnectable links and actually unpin them but something to think about nonetheless.

If your links are too short and you fully articulate your front or rear end you can actually invert a link (or both) and cause some pretty serious damage your your calipers, brake/abs lines, or wheel.

It's very simple to check yourself if you have a floor jack.

Lift your front or rear end completely off the ground and look at the angle made by your anti-sway bar link and arm. If they form a straight line or very close to a straight line, the link is too short. With enough force from your hand you can actually invert the link yourself. If you were to invert your link and then lower your Jeep back down you can see all the damage it would cause.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also think about full droop or full articulation. One of the most common things we see when we rack a customers Jeep are too short anti-sway bar links. Not a real issue if you have disconnectable links and actually unpin them but something to think about nonetheless.

If your links are too short and you fully articulate your front or rear end you can actually invert a link (or both) and cause some pretty serious damage your your calipers, brake/abs lines, or wheel.

Lift your front or rear end completely off the ground and look at the angle made by your anti-sway bar link and arm. If they form a straight line or very close to a straight line, the link is too short. With enough force from your hand you can actually invert the link yourself. If you were to invert your link and then lower your Jeep back down you can see all the damage it would cause.
This is REALLY good information. Never even thought about this! Thanks!:beer:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I completly agree.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I had a TJ with an AntiRock on the front.

First time out it inverted. (really sucked - trashed the AL arms)

It was set up parallel to the ground and the Jeep had 16" travel coilovers.

I reworked the links to extend them and angle the bar up ~ 15*.

Never had a problem after that.

I never thought about a loss of efficiency at the angle?????

·
Registered
3 Posts

I did this and my sway bar was level. Everything I've read said it was set up right and I still bent the heck out of them.

·
Registered
312 Posts
This is mine at ride height 14.5" links and 3.5" lift using MetalCloak 15" shocks. I have the e-disco and don't manually disconnect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.