JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At that point where I'm going to deal with the annoying tippy-ness and pitching with my JK. I've been using disconnects up front rather than employing the electro-fail. To tighten things up on the trail it's apparent I need to toss the stock bars and get something on there better trail-suited. Rather than just jump on Currie Antirocks and live with the added roll on highway I have been looking at Teraflex's dual rate front bar and wondered if anyone out there can provide any pros/cons on it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
it's not the TF, but i loved my swayloc...

nice and tight when i wanted it and i flipped a switch on the bar and it was basically an antirock.

http://www.carolinatruggies.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=132

i don't support or know anything aobut carolina truggies. they were just the first to pop up on the search.

good luck with whatever you end up with!

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks similar. Some of my club buddies have the air actuated Swaylocs. Not sure if they're dual rate or not but they like 'em.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ordered a TF dual rate this AM. Fingers crossed....

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
I just picked up a used anti-rock and have been deliberatly throwing it hard on the highway. its not "bad", i mean its softer than stock but its not OMFG !!!! ROLLONFIREKILLBUSOFKITTENS!!!!!

Dropping my tire psi 5lbs (doing some tests) made more of a change than the sway bar did :laughing:

·
Registered
631 Posts
I just picked up a used anti-rock and have been deliberatly throwing it hard on the highway. its not "bad", i mean its softer than stock but its not OMFG !!!! ROLLONFIREKILLBUSOFKITTENS!!!!!

Dropping my tire psi 5lbs (doing some tests) made more of a change than the sway bar did :laughing:
If only more people would actually RUN them before coming to such a quick conclusion...props to you. AR's on both ends is awesome on and off the road, end of story.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
If only more people would actually RUN them before coming to such a quick conclusion...props to you. AR's on both ends is awesome on and off the road, end of story.
sorry, let me clarify: Anti-rock front and a stock rear.

So I am only halfway to killing a bus full of nuns holding kittens...maybe just a light wounding :thefinger:

To be honest I was very cautious about running a anti-rock as I was worried they tuned it too loose. But I figured if it was I would just swap that one to the rear and get a thicker one up front. Right now my weight bias is 50/50 so I may end up running a front in the rear anyway.
But the AR is a common size, so if it is too soft you just get a thicker bar from them anyway.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't post too often but I wanted to chime in and say Doc is dead on. So many people seem to think the AR's are going to make it ride like a boat and just sway all over the place. I have AR's both front and rear and I'll never be without them. Awesome stability off-road compared to totally disconnected and honestly there just isn't that HUGE difference in on road quality. In fact, it really improved the overall ride quality on my rig by letting it flex a little easier on the road.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
very interesting indeed, swayloc/dualrate was one of the first things i wanted but am still using discos, sounds like wiht my moderate lift I could be very happy with ARs:koolaid: mucho garcias boys

What do you guys think of running ARs on the hwy with a heavily loaded roof rack? dual rate better?

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm assuming the Tera dual rate will do the job.

Next question, how much improvement will I get if I upgrade the rear bar vs the stocker that's on there?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I run AR's front and rear and found the same results as usmdoc14. I did change my shock valving a bit to firm up the rear. I do carry a good deal of weight in the rear with spare, 4 Roto's, jack shovel, tools, mounted rear winch and oversize storage cubby. And it is my daily driver/commuter.
I've always wanted to see how the Tera dual rate performs. From what I've read, it should be a stiffer bar than stock or AR and then close to AR when on softer rate which I think would be perfect for something that spends a good deal of time on the road.
Looking forward to your feedback after install.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all. On the way and looks like a pretty straight forward install & setup. Gonna try it with the stock bar first & see how it balances, then add either the Tera or Currie in back. I've got Poly shock brackets out back and I don't think the Tera links will work with them.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
So the major advantage to running a AR or a similar sway bar is that, not only off road do you not have to worry about disconnecting and reconnecting, but it makes things more "stiffer" for lack of a better word, vs. being fully disco'd?

And the on road advantages is what a softer ride?

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorta. An off-road tuned bar will prevent, or at least limit, the characteristic pitching & rocking of a coil suspension and make things a bit less tense when off camber.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sorta. An off-road tuned bar will prevent, or at least limit, the characteristic pitching & rocking of a coil suspension and make things a bit less tense when off camber.
I've noticed good shocks and appropriate coils for your weight do this more so than the factory swaybars onroad too. Downside is without any swaybar/anti-roll control the vehicle still gets excessive bodyroll no matter how firm the coils seem to be.

I ran no swaybars off road and just the stock front swaybar onroad for a fair amount of time and I had no stability issues whatsoever. It did get a bit wild if there was a load in the back but unloaded was great. They were custom springs for the vehicle weight. However I do have smaller tyres (33") and lower lift (2.5") which also makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, got it installed and it seems to work well. A couple issues popped up and I'll just do another thread on the install rather than add to this one. Cool mod!

·
Registered
222 Posts
My 2 cents... When I had an 03 TJ with 6" of lift I used the anti rock. I like wheeling with it much better than disconnected, but defiantly liked it less on the road. Without a doubt, the jeep had more body roll. Not a big deal if you are a cautious driver on the road and don't pretend you are driving a vet. This go around I plan on running a dual rate set up b/c I want to keep the street driving as firm as possible, but defiantly want the lighter rate for the trail vice the disconnected...

sorry, let me clarify: Anti-rock front and a stock rear.

So I am only halfway to killing a bus full of nuns holding kittens...maybe just a light wounding :thefinger:

To be honest I was very cautious about running a anti-rock as I was worried they tuned it too loose. But I figured if it was I would just swap that one to the rear and get a thicker one up front. Right now my weight bias is 50/50 so I may end up running a front in the rear anyway.
But the AR is a common size, so if it is too soft you just get a thicker bar from them anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.