JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright..... Tried searching but not finding much.
Contemplating on staring my parts collection of the axles that I'll put in my Jk. Bottom line, Do they have a flash or is there a way to completely get rid of the traction control/brake control management on the stock ECU so I can install the axles of my choice without being annoyed by pesky dash lights or my JK behaving like a little bastard step child.

I would just install teraflex, currie, or prorock axles but I am trying to keep the cost down and I would prefer to go Kingpin vs. Ball joint and FF vs. SF.

Thanks, Sean

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
i know there is a thread on here somewhere that tells how to disable the ESP. when the ESP is disabled, i believe the ABS is disabled at the same time. there is a way to wire in a switch in-line with the wires under the passenger seat, i believe.

i'm just not sure where the thread is. you can search for it. if i find it, i'll post the link in here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I new that but I would prefer to stay away from spending 3 g's on a rear and 6 g's on a front. Bottom Line. I would like to get rid of the ABS and ESP all together.
Thanks, Sean

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Thanks for the input. I new that but I would prefer to stay away from spending 3 g's on a rear and 6 g's on a front. Bottom Line. I would like to get rid of the ABS and ESP all together.
Thanks, Sean
Gotcha, not sure if its something you are interested in another member on this site informed me and I just ordered one. www.aeroforcetech.com sell a bad as# gauge that does tons of things and one of the features is the ability to turn the abs and esp off and on. Some thing to think about

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well...... I think I am going to end up doing Rocks. Should be interesting, just trying to do some research on the abs esp issue and how rocks are at highway speeds as far as noise levels from the gears and so on. I don't really drive on the highway other than for long trips but I need to still be pretty road worthy so when I drive to utah, colorado, nevada, cali, or Seattle a few times a year I'll be able to without any problems.

I haven't seen any JK's with Rocks yet. Anyone else seen any?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Jk with rocks

I have a set of rockwells in the garage that are just dyingto get under my Jk Shutting off the ESP is step one. I just recently put a 4.5 poly perf stage 3 under the Jk. I don't want to flush this setup and $.

My thoughts are that putting an atlas 2 with the rocks would provide good gearing options. If we respect the mounting measurements on the Dana 44s... It should work right? Won't have much suspension articulation but the drivline angles should be good.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is the only question that I am considering as well. Cut them down or just run wheels that don't have that much offset. But I also don't know if I would run pinion brakes or that new 14 bolt conversion that has the ability to run 14 bolt spindles and disks and converts it to 8 lug all at the same time. You could run some 12 bolt H1 beadlocks and be pretty damn close to a 63-65 setup with a heavy offset wheel I think. Yeah you would be wide but you would also be stable.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Brackets for control arms

I am thinking that there are 2 methods which may work for figuring out the brackets...

1) Buy a set of brackets from Currie for the JK.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/Products4x4.aspx?id=3315&p=399.9500

2) Go with a set of brackets from Blue Torch Fabworks and modify to fit the geometry of the jk brackets.

Pinion brakes are not a good option for the street, disk brakes are the way to go and Ouverson Engineering has some nice stuff.

http://www.ouversonengineering.com/new_super_8

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info. I am very familiar with the Currie and Ouverson stuff. Ideally Disks all the way around would be awesome. I completely agree. But, for cost effectiveness and the questions of, does the JK even have enough weight behind it to matter if you just use pinion brakes? It's pretty hard to say. Those pinion brakes are rated to stop some serious weight If I recall. Maybe I am wrong though. Seems like a JK would be a pretty small chore hence not causing that much stress and wearing out the pinion bearings in the long run. HMMMMMMM... I wonder.
Thanks, Sean

·
Registered
427 Posts
Do they have a flash or is there a way to completely get rid of the traction control/brake control management on the stock ECU so I can install the axles of my choice without being annoyed by pesky dash lights or my JK behaving like a little bastard step child.
Sean, Jeep has a procedure to permantly turn off the ESP function - specifically for modified vehicles. The steps for this is in the Owner's Manual on page 113 ('08 model). Repeating the steps will turn the ESP back on if you ever want to.

A friend did this on a JK he built for a customer that didn't want anything to do with the ESP. Said it worked perfectly, just a little tricky getting the timing down on the steps ... took a couple of tries.

Good luck with the project!

·
Registered
164 Posts
From memory.... I considered putting the Rocks under my dodge 3500. The research I did led me to believe that the weight is not the problem. But rather the speed of the brake at highway speeds. The 6.72:1 rotation means that braking on the pinion creates potential problems with heat. The rotations at the driveshaft / pinion as opposed to the wheels. Question of redundancy too...

I am leaning towards brakes at each corner, but pinion brakes would be much cheaper to set up.

I am not a pro by any means... but if you have a diff and you are in a corner and want to apply braking with a pinion brake... Am I wrong to assume you would only be breaking with the outside wheels. The diff when unlocked and in a corner is compensating for the speed difference between inside and outside wheels. Therefore braking to only one wheel right?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any Idea If it will work on an 07 model to? I doubt that there was a change to the ecu from 07 to 08 in respect to the abs/esp but you never know. Does anyone have page 113 of the 08 owners manual that they can scan in and post?
Great info! That is what this post is all about. Thank you!

Sean, Jeep has a procedure to permantly turn off the ESP function - specifically for modified vehicles. The steps for this is in the Owner's Manual on page 113 ('08 model). Repeating the steps will turn the ESP back on if you ever want to.

A friend did this on a JK he built for a customer that didn't want anything to do with the ESP. Said it worked perfectly, just a little tricky getting the timing down on the steps ... took a couple of tries.

Good luck with the project!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok... very good point. I completely understand what you are saying. I think it would also depend on what locker you were using. I think it would be a similar feeling to downshifting through a corner because you are changing the speed directly at the driveline rather than the wheels. With the types of rotors that are available for the pinion brakes now (slotted and drilled) I wonder how they would handle the heat?
Great info thanks,
Sean

I am not a pro by any means... but if you have a diff and you are in a corner and want to apply braking with a pinion brake... Am I wrong to assume you would only be breaking with the outside wheels. The diff when unlocked and in a corner is compensating for the speed difference between inside and outside wheels. Therefore braking to only one wheel right?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Any Idea If it will work on an 07 model to? I doubt that there was a change to the ecu from 07 to 08 in respect to the abs/esp but you never know. Does anyone have page 113 of the 08 owners manual that they can scan in and post?
Great info! That is what this post is all about. Thank you!
You can download the Owner's Manual from Jeep's website at, http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html. Their '08 manual does not show the information on disabling the EPS though. :shaking: Go figure ... it's in my printed '08 manual (Jan2008 build date).

I copied this from their '09 Owner's Manual .pdf download. It is the same steps that my '08 manual shows. Not sure if this will work on a '07 though, I don't think the '07 has an 'EPS OFF' button - I may be wrong.

Hope this helps!

Disabling ESP for Modified Vehicles (4WD Models
Only)

Vehicles modified with larger tires and/or suspension
lifts may experience early ESP activations as compared to
a non-modified production vehicle depending on lift
size, tire size, suspension changes and/or driving habits.
If early ESP activations are experienced while driving a
modified vehicle, the additional ability to permanently
turn off ESP is available. A steering wheel/ESP button
maneuver must be performed to permanently disable
ESP and defeat the functionality of the ESP switch.
Repeating the procedure will return the system to normal
ESP operation and restore ESP switch functionality allowing
ESP “Partial” or “Off” modes.

WARNING!
With ESP in the permanent disable mode, enhanced
vehicle stability offered by the ESP and ERM systems
is unavailable. In an emergency evasive maneuver,
the ESP and ERM systems will not engage to
assist in maintaining stability. This disabled mode is
intended for off-highway or off-road use only. Vehicle
modifications requiring the owner to configure
the vehicle in the ESP disabled mode, will seriously
affect the vehicles roadworthiness and safety and
may lead to loss of control and/or accident resulting
in possible serious or fatal injuries.

The following procedure will disable (or re-enable) ESP
functionality in the vehicle.

1. Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position.
2. Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the
wheels are pointed straight ahead.
3. Cycle the ignition key OFF to ON.
4. Wait approximately five seconds for the system bulb
check.
5. Turn and hold the steering wheel one-half turn to the
right (clockwise).
6. Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds.
7. Turn the steering wheel back to center, and turn and
hold an additional one-half turn to the left (counterclockwise).
8. Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds.
9. Turn the steering wheel back to center.
10. Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds.
11. Cycle the ignition key to OFF.
After performing the ESP disable procedure correctly,
“ESP OFF” will be displayed in the odometer for approximately
12 seconds each time the ignition is moved to ON.
Repeating the ESP disable procedure will re-enable normal
ESP operation.

·
Registered
132 Posts
This has been discussed to death on pirate4x4.com for any interested parties. One thing to consider is broken axleshafts. You break one on the trail and now you only have 1 wheel braking.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.