JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night while driving straight I got a traction slip light flashing , traction control was active slowing the jeep . I then got the ESP/BAS and ABS LIGHT on steady . I stopped and turn off the jeep a d fired it up again no lights . A few miles later all the ESP/ BAS and ABS LIGHTS were back on . I'm suspecting a bad cloak spring .

So Amazon has a clock spring for $188 . Do I need a programmer to clear or set the clock spring codes?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I know yours isn't a 2008 but Idk what year it is. I didn't have to re-program or re-flash when I replaced mine ( '08) but not sure on the newer models. Definitely sounds like yours could be a clock-spring issue.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shit totally forgot to post year and model ! Yea mine is a 2008 JKU auto ! While I have the steering wheel off I think I'll replace the blinker switch (it doesn't hold any more ,super annoying) . Does any body know if the clock spring is the same for a 2012 or newer . I'm thinking of updating the steering wheel too .

·
Registered
33 Posts
This happen to me a few years ago, all the same lights came on. For me it was a rear Speed sensor broken off.

Is your air bag light on and do your horn still work.....cruise, air bag light and horn goes through the Clock Spring but cruise won't work either with those lights on the dash.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
About 3 months ago I received two separate recall notifications in the mail from Fiat Chrysler America. One covered the airbag clock spring on JK's from 07-10 and the other covered the passenger side airbag inflator. Each one had my Vin number on it. The problem is that the recall is so massive (covers most other Fiat Chrysler vehicles) that parts are not available. I was instructed to bring the cards down to my Jeep dealer for them to note and that when the parts came it I would be notified. When my clock spring went bad I did and still have the airbag icon showing on my dash lights. The NHTSA numbers are:

Driver clock spring: S33/NHTSA 16V-290

Passenger Airbag Inflator: S43/NHTSA 16V-352

UNLESS I MISSED IT THERE IS NO MENTION OF THESE RECALLS IN THE JK RECALL SECTION. IS ANYONE KEEPING UP WITH RECALLS ANYMORE? DOESN'T APPEAR TO BE.

Reactions: Donut707

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
Not long after posting the above, I checked my mail and found another recall notice from FCA covering the air bag clock spring. It has the same number as above but there's more detail in what the dealer will replace. It states that the dealer will replace the steering column clock spring, steering wheel back cover and the steering column shrouds. Estimated repair time is one hour. If your dealer plays dumb, call this number: 1-800-853-1403

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
Not long after posting the above, I checked my mail and found another recall notice from FCA covering the air bag clock spring. It has the same number as above but there's more detail in what the dealer will replace. It states that the dealer will replace the steering column clock spring, steering wheel back cover and the steering column shrouds. Estimated repair time is one hour. If your dealer plays dumb, call this number: 1-800-853-1403
I got a recall in the mail today covering the clock spring and passenger airbag. I've had the ESP/BAS and ABS LIGHT on steady for a while now.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
The only light I've had on continuously is the airbag light and the ding.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@memories has It I think. I was able to get a hold of a scanner that reads ABS codes and got code C104F "right front wheel speed comparative performance ". So I stop at O'reily's and pick up a wheel speed sensor for $22. So I'll throw this part at it and see how it does .

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Bad clock spring will throw the airbag light not the TC lights. Just had my 2008 clockspring changed under warranty/recall couple weeks ago. They are all under recall..

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Soooooo I got the jeep off the ground and it wasn't just the wheel sensor , the whole hub was bad . The tire looked like it was loose , it was hanging at a funny angle once it wasn't holding the weight of the jeep. It took an hour to beat the old hub out and get ready for the new hub. Once I got everything bolted back together and out for a test drive the lights went out after about 50 feet of driving .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts