JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apart from new retainers and nuts, does anyone know if anything else is required to install Superior rear axle shafts?

I'll be leaving the factory retainers on the stock shafts so they are ready to be used as spares.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Apart from new retainers and nuts, does anyone know if anything else is required to install Superior rear axle shafts?

I'll be leaving the factory retainers on the stock shafts so they are ready to be used as spares.
Phil, if you leave the retainers on you're not going to be able to get the tone rings off. The ABS/ESP sensors need those in order to work. I was going to do that, but no one seems to be able to find the part # for those rings. They seem to think they only come with the stock axle assy. I've had some problems with my RH front Superior axle leaking and I've come to find they machine their front shaft .010" smaller where the seal rides.:question: I called them and the yayhoo I talked with was clueless about a different seal. So I put the stock back in. Now I'm a little leary about their rear shafts.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, it was the tone ring part # I was specifically thinking of, as I can't find any mention of it anywhere either.

Thanks for the info on the seals, I may well put this on hold for a while myself.

G

·
0 Posts
Phil, if you leave the retainers on you're not going to be able to get the tone rings off. The ABS/ESP sensors need those in order to work. I was going to do that, but no one seems to be able to find the part # for those rings. They seem to think they only come with the stock axle assy. I've had some problems with my RH front Superior axle leaking and I've come to find they machine their front shaft .010" smaller where the seal rides.:question: I called them and the yayhoo I talked with was clueless about a different seal. So I put the stock back in. Now I'm a little leary about their rear shafts.
The guys that installed my front Superior axles also mentioned that the seals had to be changed. They said that there were specific instructions included with the axles stating that new seals were required.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guys that installed my front Superior axles also mentioned that the seals had to be changed. They said that there were specific instructions included with the axles stating that new seals were required.
The rears come with new seals, the rear seals are a lot easier to change than the fronts though.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
They wouldn't have happened to have the P/N would they? Or does someone have the name of a knowledgeable person working at Superior? I'd love to be able use that Superior shaft now that I have it.

G

·
0 Posts
They wouldn't have happened to have the P/N would they? Or does someone have the name of a knowledgeable person working at Superior? I'd love to be able use that Superior shaft now that I have it.
I'll call them tomorrow and see if they have it.

G

·
0 Posts
I'll call them tomorrow and see if they have it.
I called them to ask about the part number but they didn't have it written down anywhere. He did say that when they unpacked the axles there was a very small slip of paper included with the packing lists and other paperwork that said the oil seals needed to be replaced and gave the part number - so you might want to look through your paperwork and see if it's included somewhere.

I also asked if they knew anyone that you could contact at Superior that would be knowledgeable. He indicated that there is a new guy that is supposed to be joining them, perhaps even as an owner but I'm not sure, named Mack. You might try asking for him.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I shot a quick email in to my rep at Superior, requesting information for both the Dana 30 and 44 Rubicon shafts, and here's the answer I received:

Dana 30’s are the same as stock. Dana part # 43116 (same as TJ Rubicon seal) and the Left side on the JK Rubi uses the Dana # 43116 as well. The only one that is different is the drivers side seal on the Rubi. Dana part # 46470 (TJ dana 30 seal)

FYI I'm running Superior shafts in my JK and new seals were included in the box with the front shafts, as well as a note stating that new seals must be used.

·
Registered
275 Posts
PS here's what the paper says that they include with the shafts:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR KIT

Congratulations on choosing Superior Axle & Gear for your Rubicon JK Wrangler front Chrome – Moly axle kit P/N EV51LFS and EV51RFS. This kit is built with pride in our factory in Los Angeles, CA. Superior Axle & Gear is always out to improve the OEM design, and in order to provide you with the STRONGEST axle kit on the market; we have decided to change the inner axle seals. We recommend changing out the old seals with our new seals. The reason for this change is to give our shafts the best possible torsional twist of ANY aftermarket axle. Superior Axle & Gear benchmarked torsionally tuned front axles to the industry back in 2001. This newer 2.0 version is proven to increase the strength of the entire front assembly.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I shot a quick email in to my rep at Superior, requesting information for both the Dana 30 and 44 Rubicon shafts, and here's the answer I received:

Dana 30’s are the same as stock. Dana part # 43116 (same as TJ Rubicon seal) and the Left side on the JK Rubi uses the Dana # 43116 as well. The only one that is different is the drivers side seal on the Rubi. Dana part # 46470 (TJ dana 30 seal)

FYI I'm running Superior shafts in my JK and new seals were included in the box with the front shafts, as well as a note stating that new seals must be used.
That's the problem with having someone else, somewhere else do it for you. At the time I didn't trust myself to do it, but now I know I can. Thanks for the info on this :bounce: I can't thank you enough. With this # I should be able to find this thing locally and get my shaft back in there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts