JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys
let me know wut you guys think. I have a 08 JKU with a hard top. it would be nice to have the top come off above the rear seats just like the front part of the top. it would help with storage and removal . once my top is off it takes up a ton of room, so making it smaller would be better too. I know some of the hard core jeepers hate the hard top guys but living in Oklahoma with 110 in the summer teens in the winter its nice to have the hard top.

Now with that being said how do i go about making on myself. i could use a top of a two door and try to cut and paste sort of speak the two different types of tops. getting everything to piece together and seal up might be the hardest part. and you would have to add an attached point at the rear bar to secure the back of the top. even if the middle part of the top was a single piece it would be (i wish the front of my top was a single piece) . i searched the interwebs and the only hard tops i found were the fast back style . if anybody has seen or done this themselves id like to see it

·
Registered
339 Posts
You say you need a hardtop for 110 in the summer? Why did you even buy a Jeep then? I think the Prius comes with a hardtop. Might suit your needs better.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Sounds like an interesting project. Might talk with the guy that has posted some stuff about a complete new top and barn door style rear gate. He may have some experience with doing what you want to accomplish. The thread is pretty recent.

Edit: the thread title is "custom modular jk hardtop"

As for the hardtop, it is definitely nice during the winter. Not so much in the summer. The top radiates heat forever and it won't cool down.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I ran all last winter with the rag top with temps down to -30 with no problems. I did buy a used one for this winter just for the convenience of being able to access the trunk since the zippers get covered in salt and freeze up.

I didn't even get AC in my jeep since went the weather is nice, the top should be down.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
. . .
As for the hardtop, it is definitely nice during the winter. Not so much in the summer. The top radiates heat forever and it won't cool down.
That pissed me off to no end, so here's how I fixed it for 5 bucks (plus fawkin-around time):
PAINT YOUR FOOKIN' ROOF WHITE! This is the best 5 dollar modification I ever spent an hour to do. I only painted the top of the roof.
Most people never notice, and now there is no 140 degree air inside when Jeep has been parked in the sun.
The Krylon is degrading now, and it bleeds down the sides like whitewash, so I'll probably re-do it with real auto paint or gel coat.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I believe that Wild Boar makes a hard top that is more open over the back seat. Wildboarproducts.com Look under JKtops.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran all last winter with the rag top with temps down to -30 with no problems. I did buy a used one for this winter just for the convenience of being able to access the trunk since the zippers get covered in salt and freeze up.

I didn't even get AC in my jeep since went the weather is nice, the top should be down.
Mtljeep I work in aviation and it gets pretty stupid hot here in Oklahoma. So a cooler air-conditioned ride home is not only nice but as a pastey white guy it saves a sun burn . when i do take the top off it stays off for while . i am getting a breezer sun shade top i found a 4wheel parts soon.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I fly Boeings for a living and my Jeep is parked at the airport with the top down, half doors and a cab cover when the weather is good. There is no better feeling that driving home with the top down after having been stuck in the plane all day

1 - 9 of 9 Posts