JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of going from 37" MTRs down to a 35" tire. My Jeep is a daily driver, and I need it to take up a little less time with maintenance and repairs. I'm also looking to increase the driveability a bit so my wife will be comfortable driving it if she needs to. So I'm looking for a relatively light tire that will do well on the road, but also provide decent traction while wheeling. I'm thinking an agressive AT or a less aggressive MT with siping.

Any suggestions?

Micah

·
Registered
969 Posts
Duratracs. If the 2-ply sidewall isnt an issue for your wheeling.
I've had mine for 30K and they do just what you described. Not sure about a true 35", I think it's closer to a 34"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. Do they balance up well? Part of the problem with my MTRs is that they are impossible to balance, and I think vibrations have contributed to some "quirks" in the driveline.

Micah

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
I love my Goodyear MT/R Kevlars. I ran 37s on my 2010 JKU and have 33s on my current 2012 JK. Excellent on road and off road. Great in the rain and snow, IMO. Tend to be lighter that other MTs. Never had a balancing issue.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Cool. Do they balance up well? Part of the problem with my MTRs is that they are impossible to balance, and I think vibrations have contributed to some "quirks" in the driveline.

Micah
Balance great. Very quiet initially, have developed a little hum with time but nothing like a full MT

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love my Goodyear MT/R Kevlars. I ran 37s on my 2010 JKU and have 33s on my current 2012 JK. Excellent on road and off road. Great in the rain and snow, IMO. Tend to be lighter that other MTs. Never had a balancing issue.
I think I may have had a problem with my 37s being one of the early batches. They are a fantastic tire off road, and they're decent on the road, but not being able to balance them properly is big issue. I'm thinking I'll stay away from asymmetric treads now too...

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
F' Goodyear.

Go with Falken Wildpeak (or Discount Tire Direct's Rocky Mountain ATS version). You won't be disappointed. If they put it out in a 40" tire and I still have my JK when the Pitbulls wear out, I wouldn't hesitate to run them on my JK.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
F' Goodyear.

Go with Falken Wildpeak (or Discount Tire Direct's Rocky Mountain ATS version). You won't be disappointed. If they put it out in a 40" tire and I still have my JK when the Pitbulls wear out, I wouldn't hesitate to run them on my JK.
I've looked at the Falkens before, and they seem pretty good, though I wasn't sure they were as aggressive as I was looking for. The mud and clay down here is pretty thick and tends to clog treads very easily. Have you had problems with the Goodyears?

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I've looked at the Falkens before, and they seem pretty good, though I wasn't sure they were as aggressive as I was looking for. The mud and clay down here is pretty thick and tends to clog treads very easily. Have you had problems with the Goodyears?
Lack of availability. The decided they didn't want to continue making the Kevlars in reliable numbers. Who's to say they won't do the same with their other tires? I'll buy anything other than GY from now on.

Not sure how the Falkens would do with clay type mud. I'd rather have a catheter inserted than wheel in mud nowadays.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Well there not light...but my Hancook Dynapro MTs are way way quieter and smoother than my GYMTRKs were.........even quiter than my wifes BFG longtrails believe it or not......

·
Registered
447 Posts
look at the khumo kl71 they are great mt,balance easy and are a good quality tire.Fairly quiet as well.Their only negative point is light snow over ice,i sipped mine and it did improve quite lots but still a little bit shaky, they are unidirectional as well .Did not buy them again because of the kind of winter we got here.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've been real happy with the Nitto Terra Grapplers on mine but I will be replacing them with something more agressive when they wear out.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
KM2's... the wife spent 45k mostly road miles on the last set 265/70R17. I rotated myself and we never had to have them rebalanced. Very happy, so much that when they wore out she insisted on nothing other than KM2 again, now in a 285/75R16.

When we have gone offroad they were great as well obviously.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My only complaint about my TreadWright Guard Dog's is that they're a little bit noisier than I expected. I ordered mine with their Kedge Grip (crushed glass & walnut shells) to increase its already-good traction in snow country. They balanced awesome, they're as smooth as an all-terrain but with much friendlier road manners than a mud-terrain, and they're cheap cheap cheap! I haven't come across another tire that has more traction than these in any terrain. Seriously. Give them some consideration.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts