JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get under my jeep and start cleaning off rust from different parts under there. Not looking to do a show room restore and it will be done in my driveway without air tools. I have a dremel and a decent cordless drill. I have a few different wire brushes, wire wheels etc. Any specific products anyone suggests? Also what would be a decent spray primer and paint to use after the rust is removed?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I usually wire brush and/or wire wheel the rust off; then I hit it with rustoleum rust converter. Let that do it's thing for at least 24 hours; then cover with rustoleum satin black, followed by some satin clear. No primer needed, the converter creates a good surface for the paint to adhere to - though I suppose if you wanted to prime, I would go with a bonding primer.

I typically do this in later fall, before winter (just clean up all the rock scrapes and what not); and then check again in spring after winter breaks (stupid road salt!).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually wire brush and/or wire wheel the rust off; then I hit it with rustoleum rust converter. Let that do it's thing for at least 24 hours; then cover with rustoleum satin black, followed by some satin clear. No primer needed, the converter creates a good surface for the paint to adhere to - though I suppose if you wanted to prime, I would go with a bonding primer.

I typically do this in later fall, before winter (just clean up all the rock scrapes and what not); and then check again in spring after winter breaks (stupid road salt!).
is THIS the stuff?

·
Registered
18 Posts
the stuff mvjeeper posted looks like the stuff that sprays on clear and turns black. I haven't had much luck with stuff like that. I have used the stuff Rattler posted also and have had much better luck with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I used POR-15 on my fairly rusty M100 trailer tub & frame, then hit it with rattle-can flat green.

To remove some of the bigger rust areas I used wire wheels and flapper wheels. I bought some gel rust reversal solution but never used it as the POR-15 was a complete "trunk and floorboard kit"

Google image album of the trailer project: https://goo.gl/photos/8EaXBq7KHF7HZmYu9

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've used the loctite neutalizer with good results on light rust. Once dry coat with paint.

For the more aggressive stuff, if you can take the part off, use a battery tender, bucket of water and rebar as a DIY electrolysis setup to remove it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't laugh now! Pour or spray some Cola ( as in Coke, Pepsi or RC) on the rust. Let it soak for an hour or so then scrub off with aluminum foil. I saw this demonstrated on one of the shows on Velocity. It does work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts