JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to install Mag Hytec diff covers for the rear dana 44 axle on my 08 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Can't do it because of track bar conflict. I would appreciate suggestions regarding other brands. Running 5:13 gears.

Thanks

Rob V

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wanted to install Mag Hytec diff covers for the rear dana 44 axle on my 08 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Can't do it because of track bar conflict. I would appreciate suggestions regarding other brands. Running 5:13 gears.

Thanks

Rob V
I'd go with a Riddler (or the same re-branded "G2") diff cover. They are 1/4" thick, rock solid. But unlike most of the ridiculous diff covers out there with all the stupid raised letters (e.g. SOLID covers) that catch on the track bar - the Riddler covers are low profiles, and very smooth/rounded on the outside. Get 'em from Trailduty.com. Phil will treat you right.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'd go with a Riddler (or the same re-branded "G2") diff cover. They are 1/4" thick, rock solid. But unlike most of the ridiculous diff covers out there with all the stupid raised letters (e.g. SOLID covers) that catch on the track bar - the Riddler covers are low profiles, and very smooth/rounded on the outside. Get 'em from Trailduty.com. Phil will treat you right.

Yep,....Rockcrusher/Solid on mine hits track bar slightly...mine hits the Ribs that protrude out the front for strength.

·
Registered
962 Posts
First time I've really taken notice of this item, that looks really good. Does it take a thin walled socket to install? Can't tell from the pic, but looks really tight around bolts.

A

·
0 Posts
I put G2s on mine which are identical to Riddler. Nice low profile and strong.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Installing my Riddlers as soon as the powder coat cures :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
x3 on the normal socket for installation.

And I don't think those rockcrusher/solid "ribs" are not extra strength on their diff covers. Their covers are 1/4 inch. They don't need ribs. They add those stupid things just to display their company names at the expense of function. In two years those knuckleheads will have changed their design.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Are these really necessary? Are the stock covers really that crappy?
Bashed in my rear to the point it was leaking badly and doing the front as insurance

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Are these really necessary? Are the stock covers really that crappy?
I have not bashed one in yet. But I have peeled up the rear before draging across a rock. Like said above, cheap insurance. Nothing more annoying then ending a trail day due to a stupid stamped cover :pissed:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
never saw the Riddler covers before but looks like those are what I will be going with it. Question, do anyone know the actual amount of fluid needed with these covers?? Seems every forum I have been it is a "best guess" idea for the D44, no clue on the D30...

·
Registered
173 Posts
RIDDLER, RIDDLER, RIDDLER.......i love mine held up great in Moab
Same here!

On Golden Spike I stopped to talk to a guy who was fixing a blown bead. I sort of pulled over to the side of the trail when I stopped. I wasn't looking where I was going when I headed off and my passenger wheel slipped off a ledge. My diff hit directly on a large rock. I hit it right on the front diff cover and actually broke the rock into two peices. They guys I was talking to laughed at the event. :D But the diff didn't have hardly a scratch on it and the boulder was pulverized. I'm definitely sold on Riddler.

A

·
0 Posts
On Golden Spike I stopped to talk to a guy who was fixing a blown bead. I sort of pulled over to the side of the trail when I stopped. I wasn't looking where I was going when I headed off and my passenger wheel slipped off a ledge. My diff hit directly on a large rock. I hit it right on the front diff cover and actually broke the rock into two peices.
I was watching you as you crashed it. I was going to stop you but figured it was much better for you to test the diff cover than me :laughing:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was watching you as you crashed it. I was going to stop you but figured it was much better for you to test the diff cover than me :laughing:
That's cool since I decided to test what would loosening three lug nuts would do on your jeep. :D :D

1 - 20 of 99 Posts