JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone on here can help with this question.

I am installing a tuffy center console, speakers and stereo in my budys TJ. The console comes with spot for an 8 inch sub woofer.

Should I use an amp for the 8 inch sub woofer?

If so, what size amp?

What is a good brand for a sub and amp?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I would want nothing less than a 10"- but you have to go with what will work. I personally have always liked JL and Memphis subs and amps- but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
My .02...

I have two JL Audio 8" subs in my jk and they sound great. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=27

As far as the amp. Yes, the system will definitely sound better w/an Amp. I'd go with whatever the sub is rated at handeling or a bit bigger (in the event he goes with a bigger sub later). The Amp (if it is more power than the sub can handle) can be dialed down, so that it doesn't blow the sub.

As far as the type of amp, that depends on certain circumstances like:
Where is it going to be placed?
Will it possibly be exposed to the elements?
Will it possibly get wet or ruined, because the interior of the jeep got flooded?

My point is.. I'd go with a less expensive Amp, if there was the possibility of it getting ruined.:beer:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I personally have always liked JL and Memphis subs and amps- but that's just me.
I run JL 10's and a alpine amp in my wifes JK and Memphis 10's and a soundlab amp in my Dodge. These work great. Just remember your 8 will probably be ok but they are not for deep base, just a little more thump from factory.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have two JL Audio 8" subs in my jk and they sound great. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=27

As far as the amp. Yes, the system will definitely sound better w/an Amp. I'd go with whatever the sub is rated at handeling or a bit bigger (in the event he goes with a bigger sub later). The Amp (if it is more power than the sub can handle) can be dialed down, so that it doesn't blow the sub.

As far as the type of amp, that depends on certain circumstances like:
Where is it going to be placed?
Will it possibly be exposed to the elements?
Will it possibly get wet or ruined, because the interior of the jeep got flooded?

My point is.. I'd go with a less expensive Amp, if there was the possibility of it getting ruined.:beer:
I did see a post on here awhile ago about a JL that fit in the stock infinity closure, was this the sub?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts