JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the Hell???
I was out doing some relative easy mudding today and I'm about to leave and I see my Evap canister hanging from the bottom of my truck! So I had tp put it back on before my 20 mile ride home and I screwed up some of the mounts on the unit itself. Any thoughts on if Jeep will try and screw me over with the warranty because I have some minor mods on my rig? The freakin thing shouldn't just fall off!!!
Tell ya what my next purchase is.... a skid for that stupid Evap canister unit!!!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
hmm I doubt they will screw you because you have mods on your jeep. What they will do is say you did something off road (and you have no real way to prove you didnt) and they wont cover it for that. So yeah either skid that thing up or relocate.

Personally, I would skid it because by moving it you open yourself up to a voided warranty on that part/system.

·
Openly Hostile
6,938 Posts
You can buy a whole canister for the price of those skids, haha. Also, the way the mounts for the evap canister work, even if you have a skid, if you hit it in the front it will pop right off. Hell, I saw someone knock theirs off driving fast through a puddle, haha.

·
Banned
3,216 Posts
yah, Warranty usually covers things that go wrong with your rig, NOT things that happen to it.

YOu may get lucky and get a cool dealership that will just do it for the money since it is an easy in and out fix. Try to pick a dealership that has less buisness.

Most likely it would have to be a insurance ting if they detirmine it happened offroad.

Soundls like your canister is still functional as you did not mention any lights on the dash. Save yourself the time and headache and skip the dealership. Contact woods about the relocation bracket. I bet if you let him know you need it quickly he would work with you on that!

It is a cheap kit and simple install, way worth skipping the agravation of the dealaership

Here is what the kit looks like
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1581&highlight=evap

G

·
Relocating the EVAP is one of the first mods anyone should make. The kits mentioned are cheap insurance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys! Gotta see the dealer since the plastic tabs on the unit are shot. I went with the skid row skid plate because I dont want to void ANY emissions warranty. Hope I can convince the dealer that it just "fell" off during a bad rainstorm we just had here. Hate to be dishonest but Jeep leaves me no choice with a poor mounting location like that. Thanks again!

·
Registered
915 Posts
No lie when they say Woods kit is sweet. Nice and tucked away. One of the first real mods I did along with moving my sway bar disconnect motor up. From what I hear the dealer won't give you slack about it either.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also did the Woods relocation earlier this year, one of the best mods I have done. All dealers are different, and when my dealer noticed I moved it they just said "That's a good idea, we have had to repair a few of those, where did you get the idea?" I highly doubt moving it will void any warannty, but to each his own......

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
Like said- They are all different and have different ideas of right & wrong...good idea/ bad idea. It seems that many service techs will see a modification or diy upgrade, while the vehicle is having a routine oil change done or some other simple repair (unrelated to why the vehicle is there), and exclaim that they "really like that" or that "that seems like a good idea"...But the flip side is when you take the vehicle in for something difficult to diagnose or fix. Then they seem a lot less willing to give an unbiased thumbs up on the mod, as if there might be ANY chance that the mod might remotely be responsible for the problem, that they can use that against you. JMO

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
It's rather easy to relocate and cheap if you don't mind drilling through the body....:bawling: relocated mine above the rear diff, cost me less than $10 and about an hour of time...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.