JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed this sound, when I excellorate it almost sounds like detination, you know ignition/timing. THis is a Unlimited with 37's and a 4" lift.

It seems to mostly do it with my foot in it, say up over 3,000, I've tried different things like going into neutral or letting off it seems to stop, and it doesn't do it all the time.

I'm wondering if it may be a heat sheild rattling? Similar sound maybe?

I hate driving around with it like this, any ideas??

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I went for another test spin, it's definately not doing it in neutral, I brought it up to 4,000 a few times slowly, it's not making the noise. It seems to come on around 2,500, the go away then back around 3,000, stops again and then comes back again around 3,500, only under a load. I went under it and notice a slight film under the body, a haze of fluid, no drips or anything, but a film of fluid on the back of the trany skid, and the gas tank skid. From what I can see it is coming from somewhere around the back of the T case, the back plate has a flim onit, the tranny is dry, and so is the left side under the the JK, it only seems to be the right side.

Any input would be helpfull, in the mean time, where is the fill plug for the T case? I saw something that looked like it may be it on the back face of it. Does it take the same oil the Tranny takes?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm interested in this. My 07 Rubi Unlimited does the same thing. Its been doing it for the last 30000 miles. Had the tranny checked, use higher octane fuel, and replaced the PCV valve. Still does it generally after its warm and only on hard accelleration. Have you found anything out?

·
Registered
255 Posts
OK, I went for another test spin, it's definately not doing it in neutral, I brought it up to 4,000 a few times slowly, it's not making the noise. It seems to come on around 2,500, the go away then back around 3,000, stops again and then comes back again around 3,500, only under a load.
Seems like if it was detonation it wouldn't come and go like that through the RPM range.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Stuck lifter? Try moving up to 30 wt oil and see if that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Now that you mention lifters, my dealer said that maybe my lifters were floating. I didn't really believe them, though, because they were using it to say they couldn't help me. :pissed:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts