JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got my a 2009 JK 2-door with the basic factory audio.

Wondering if I can just switch the speakers to the factory Infitity upgrade that I can get for a decent price. I figure the dimensions will be the same, but I am not sure about whether not having the amp etc... will not make any different.

Thanks a lot. :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
You should be able to do this as I don't see why Jeep would change the wiring harness at the speaker end. Will you notice a difference? Maybe, maybe not. Since you're not increasing the amplifier power any change in tonal qualities will be due to speaker material rather then speaker quality.

Good luck and make sure you update us. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MaloCS, thanks for the info. I am not looking for more volume butbetter range so that sounds like better speaker material would help. I reD your previousthreaxs so this is mostly to confirm.
Thanks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
MaloCS, thanks for the info. I am not looking for more volume butbetter range so that sounds like better speaker material would help. I reD your previousthreaxs so this is mostly to confirm.
Thanks.
Not necessarily.

All different speaker material does is color the music differently. A harder material will result in brighter/harsher tones while a softer material will result in a warmer/mellower tone. For example, titanium tweets sound very bright while silk tweets sound warm. It's all about your listening preference and what type of sound you want out of your system.

:)

·
Registered
395 Posts
I "upgraded" to the Infinity speakers in a 2009 X with the base stereo and aside from the tweeters I not only lost volume but the quality wasn't as good. The soundbar especially sucked with the Infinity speakers being pushed by the base HU. I switched back to the base 6.5" speakers but left the Infinity tweets in as they really expanded the high end.

I'll leave the Infinity speakers on the shelf until I can get an amp to drive them with and also my sub box installed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I "upgraded" to the Infinity speakers in a 2009 X with the base stereo and aside from the tweeters I not only lost volume but the quality wasn't as good.
Yea ended up putting them in and I have to say that I am a little dissapointed at the soundbar. It sounds a little worse. The front souund better but as you mentioned I think I sacrificed some volume.

However since I don't really go over 30 on the volume I'm still happy with this setup but the lower volume and worse soundbar are the sacrifices (I lowered the bass a little and and the fader) for a better mid-range sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts