JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had many different satelite radio receivers, and both providers. So I have some experience and know what normally to expect.

I am having it cut out at some odd places, and not always the same ones. For example on this one street, I go under a 8 lane highway, no cut out, then under a train track, no cut out. A mile later, clear sky, maybe some trees on the side, and it cuts out and acts like a dirty CD jumping a bit. Are there any know issues around this, or situations that can cause this I am possibly not aware of?

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Satelite is great on the open road...going hundreds of miles and not having it cut out, but in daily "around town" travels, Ive grown tired of having these same issues. When the trees are thick overhead, when next to tall buildings, under the overpasses, at the gas station, underneath awnings, etc...when the free year is up... I sure as sh*t wont renew my subscription. Too much dinero for such weak performance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I was looking for, see no other receiver I have had does this. I suspect it is either the tuner or antanae that is the issue. Been thinking of hitting the www.siriusbuzz.com site and ask some questions. If a new antanae will resolve it, might be worth it for me. It shouldn't work like that even in town.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
BTW...There is also a TSB relating to similar problem. This might be the culprit of the sat radio problems that ErylFlynn is experiencing.

TSB #08-008-08 Issued 3-06-08..."sound mutes intermittently when (Sirius) radio is in sat mode"

...don't know if this helps, but you might take it in and flash that SOB...

·
Registered
271 Posts
The flash did not help mine as it still cuts out. I emailed Sirius and got the standard answer so after my year I will think about renewing however I don't like singing by myself when Sirius decides to cut out because I can't sing...

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
funny...People pullin up next to ya...goin "man, he's singin his a$$ off...dont even need no radio!" lol...

·
Registered
28 Posts
i live on the coast and have barely any isues with it. sometimes it skips when we under go a paytoll or bridge, but other then that, it never skips. maybe its an atmosphereical issue? some kind of electrical current could be interfearing, ha i dont know?

A

·
0 Posts
I lose reception on some bridges for a second but I’ve wheeled in some canyons and thick woods and it’s mostly fine. For me sat radio is far better than FM or AM unless you like country music in to boonies. That wasn’t a slam on country music. Ok so it was a bit of a slam ;)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I found the Sirius in my JK to be about as useless as tits on a bull. :shaking:
It cut out everywhere, even if the sky was clear blue. I also found that I wasn't all that impressed with the programming, but thats neither here nor there.

For Christmas lest year Santa left a Pioneer Inno XM receiver under the tree and I have been happily Sirius free since then. The XM signal is seriously more robust and I get radically less cut out than I did with Sirius. I heart teh XM :grinpimp:

Overall I like the Inno, especially as I like that you can record songs that are playing just like MP3's, and you can also add MP3's onto it. You can also use it on its own just like an iPod or Zune. On the minus side the controls are a pain to manage when driving. If I were going to do it again I think I'd ask Santa for an Delphi XpressRC instead. With the buttons and knob it looks like it'd be easier to use then the Inno, despite it being able to record and store only ten songs.

·
Registered
665 Posts
XM works better in the city as it has land based repeaters. Sirius does not.

I got way better reception in my XJ with XM than I do in my WJ with Sirius. It cuts out alot in my WJ with a Pioneer deck and internally controlled tuner with a roof mounted antenna.

And for anyone that doesn't know. Both services are owned by the same company.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts