JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer. My thought was to have engine temperature controlled by the fan operating off of the GM ECU and keep it away from the jeep circuits. Why do you feel the Pentastar fan is a better option?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Thanks for the answer. My thought was to have engine temperature controlled by the fan operating off of the GM ECU and keep it away from the jeep circuits. Why do you feel the Pentastar fan is a better option?
See @Mason post after your last one . Also the AC system is dependent on control of pressures related to fan speed to control head pressure .

·
Registered
30 Posts
I completed a Motech L83 swap this summer. I used a Camaro fan. My understanding is that the
Camaro fan is the only one supported with the Gen 5. Mitch told me the Pentastar fan signal is not compatible with the GM ECU. I used the optional radiator, I was told the stock radiator will work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, John. That was the impression I had about the two different fans and their connectivity. Did you source the fan from Motech or did you purchase separately?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got everything from Motech. Since I did a 2013 I would have preferred being able to use the
Pentastar fan. I was able to sell my Pentastar fan on Ebay.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm in the same boat ref leaking aluminum radiator. I'm considering getting a stock JK radiator and installing it. My swap is a LS 6.0 done by Motech with a camaro SS fan. Does anyone know what radiator hoses are used when running the stock radiator?

·
Registered
3 Posts
We did an L83 swap last year and used the stock 3.8 fan and radiator. Works great. No need to change them out unless you are maybe going to tow heavy up in the mountains often.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks Tim, I'm going to give the C&R radiator a try. Hopefully the stronger build will stop the header cracking/leaking. If it ends up not working I'll go back to stock. Still curious what radiator hoses are used with the stock since ports are on opposite sides and the LS are on the passenger side?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Tim, I'm going to give the C&R radiator a try. Hopefully the stronger build will stop the header cracking/leaking. If it ends up not working I'll go back to stock. Still curious what radiator hoses are used with the stock since ports are on opposite sides and the LS are on the passenger side?
I used a combination of hoses. I might still have them written down if you need them. This is an old thead so you may have moved on already. If you want them, ill look for the part numbers. It was a PITA to get them to work. I spent many hours at Napa looking through the hoses they had to make something work. PM me if you need them. Tim

·
Registered
930 Posts
Why don’t people convert the rad hoses to an fittings and hose? Is it because of cost? I see the question a lot. I have everything to run an fittings in mine...

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
Why don’t people convert the rad hoses to an fittings and hose? Is it because of cost? I see the question a lot. I have everything to run an fittings in mine...
I'm seriously considering going AN on everything. But there is one simple reason not to that I have a hard time getting past. You can get a new hose anywhere. That's not a small reason if you ask me. I'm stuck on it.

AN is a much better connection and hose though. You can't beat the looks either.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I'm seriously considering going AN on everything. But there is one simple reason not to that I have a hard time getting past. You can get a new hose anywhere. That's not a small reason if you ask me. I'm stuck on it.

AN is a much better connection and hose though. You can't beat the looks either.

So what’re you planning on fuel lines or steering lines? How often would you ever need replace one though? I don’t think it’d ever be an issue.

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
So what’re you planning on fuel lines or steering lines? How often would you ever need replace one though? I don’t think it’d ever be an issue.
I was really just talking about radiator hoses in my post. Cause the thread is about radiators. But you're right, the quality you get, from folks like XRP or BMRS or others, making the switch to AN probably means you're chances of a blown hose are nil.

As far as fuel lines go, I'm going to try to run as much hard line as I can. My thinking is it's safer that way.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I was really just talking about radiator hoses in my post. Cause the thread is about radiators. But you're right, the quality you get, from folks like XRP or BMRS or others, making the switch to AN probably means you're chances of a blown hose are nil.

As far as fuel lines go, I'm going to try to run as much hard line as I can. My thinking is it's safer that way.

I think you misunderstood my last post... it was kind of rhetorical... like, if being able to get a new rad hose from autozone is so important for a cooling system that’s around 15 lbs compared to seeing that’s in the 1000s?

·
Registered
930 Posts

I think you misunderstood my last post... it was kind of rhetorical... like, if being able to get a new rad hose from autozone is so important for a cooling system that’s around 15 lbs compared to steering that’s in the 1000s, what’s your plan with them?

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
I think you misunderstood my last post... it was kind of rhetorical... like, if being able to get a new rad hose from autozone is so important for a cooling system that’s around 15 lbs compared to steering that’s in the 1000s, what’s your plan with them?
I feel tarded. Ya, I see your point. Radiator hoses are probably the least abused out of the whole extended hose family.

I don't know, fuck, I had it in my head that being able to get that God damn radiator hose at vatozone was really, really, really important.:thefinger:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just completed my build using the L83 and the stock radiator paired to the Camaro fan was easy. Getting plenty of cooling. Thanks for the opinions!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts