JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking about getting a new front bumper that doesn't have factory fog light holes, would the wiring for the originals work for a new set that i could mount on the bumper?

·
Registered
20 Posts
As long as you know the factory fog lights are a 35w circuit. I have heard of guys running 55w bulbs on the circuit but I wouldn't recommend it. Just FYI... HIDs are 35w usually.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
im thinking about getting a new front bumper that doesn't have factory fog light holes, would the wiring for the originals work for a new set that i could mount on the bumper?
I don't know the answer to your question, but if you get rid of your factory fogs, let me know.:beer:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it'll be a while, but when i do they'll be in the for sale section and i'll pm you first

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
913 Posts
Keep in mind that those lights go off when the high beams come on. I'm sure there's a way around it...

·
Registered
805 Posts
I am looking to do the same. But it seems every after-market set out there is 55W or higher.

The PIAA 510 4" Driving Lights are recommended on a Dodge forum as a 35W direct swap for the factory fog lights...but when I checked PIAA's website, it says they are 55W too...(?)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
easy answer would be to simply keep the wattage of the lights right. Long answer... rethink the circuit. Use the stock switch and wiring to activate a relay that you add, then use that relay to grab power for your new lights. This way the only load being put on the stock switch and wiring is the load it takes to open the relay. If you do this you may want to include a diode to protect the whole canbus nonsense, Im still learning what extra measures are needed for this canbus system. Let me know if this makes sense, or you have any questions. Also if you want the fogs on with the high beams Im sure theres a way. I did this on my 99 RAM with a jumper in the fuse box (jumped the highbeam circuit to the fog circuit so power wouldnt be interupted) I certainly do not recommend this without some more knowledgable advice regarding the canbus system though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Also if you want the fogs on with the high beams Im sure theres a way. I did this on my 99 RAM with a jumper in the fuse box (jumped the highbeam circuit to the fog circuit so power wouldnt be interupted) I certainly do not recommend this without some more knowledgable advice regarding the canbus system though.
Easy. Just add another relay. Just jump the power and light circuit off of the previously mentioned relay. Use what ever circuit you want to trigger the new relay ( high beam, low beam, reverse light, dome light, ect, ect, ect). Also, remember circuit protection. :smokin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts