JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK; stupid question time...my Rubicon is nigh onto three years old; a daily driver in crappy Ohio weather. My doors have been stiffening-up a bit, and I thought I'd better pull them off & lube up the pins before winter rolls in again.

I removed the torx caps (bottoms?) on the door hinges, but I cannot get ANY one of the doors to lift off. Two grown men; we can't budge a door.

What's the secret? I finally spayed the hinge pins with WD40 and lubed the cap-nuts with lithium grease and reinstalled, but I really want to remove the doors and grease them properly.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
OK; stupid question time...my Rubicon is nigh onto three years old; a daily driver in crappy Ohio weather. My doors have been stiffening-up a bit, and I thought I'd better pull them off & lube up the pins before winter rolls in again.

I removed the torx caps (bottoms?) on the door hinges, but I cannot get ANY one of the doors to lift off. Two grown men; we can't budge a door.

What's the secret? I finally spayed the hinge pins with WD40 and lubed the cap-nuts with lithium grease and reinstalled, but I really want to remove the doors and grease them properly.
I had to use a highlift jack and a rubber pad on one of mine.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Yep, what paramaniac said. Sometimes I have to pull up on mine while swinging them back and forth. If that doesn't work, guinness' method should do the trick.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
pick up jeep, turn upside down and shake they will come off :laughing:

I suggest using some lithium grease on the pins themselves and in the hinges, wd40 doesnt do crap and doesnt stay around to keep them lubbed. After u spray the pin n hinges wipe off any access grease or when it drys on the paint it becomes a ***** to remove lol

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
I would think after WD40 too they should come off next time you try!

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
uh oh, too late. He already said he did!

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
unplug teather strap.
open door with the windows down
Open the door to like 90 degrees
stand on the outside of the door and reach through the window and grab the armrest on the inside of the door

pull straight up.

hope this helps

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I keep my coated with a little marine grease,doesn't break down and keeps em lubed pretty good never have removal issue's.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
There are torx caps on the top and bottom hinges...... just making sure what you meant when you posted "bottoms?" if you didn't take off the caps from both the top and bottom hinges it will be more than a little difficult...:beer: Hopefully I just read it wrong.

X2 on what every one else has said - especially opening it out wide.

Hope you get them off and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
32 Posts
There are torx caps on the top and bottom hinges...... just making sure what you meant when you posted "bottoms?" if you didn't take off the caps from both the top and bottom hinges it will be more than a little difficult...:beer: Hopefully I just read it wrong.

X2 on what every one else has said - especially opening it out wide.

Hope you get them off and enjoy the ride!
I think he just meant on the "bottoms" of both the top and bottom hinges

·
Registered
19 Posts
as said above, unbolt/unhook all that necessary crap
-roll down the window
-fold in the mirror
-stand on the outside, reach through window opening and grab arm rest area and put other hand on bottom of the door
-swing back and forth while really lifting/pulling up and look like an idiot and it should eventually start budging and lifting out of the hinges.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Mine were hard as hell to remove until I opened the door out wide. Open it out wide, then pull up.
unplug teather strap.
open door with the windows down
Open the door to like 90 degrees
stand on the outside of the door and reach through the window and grab the armrest on the inside of the door

pull straight up.

hope this helps
these two combined. :beer: it does take some muscle to yank em off the first time.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
After I got mine off the first time... coated the hinge pin with synthetic grease... seems to work fine, whenever I pull the doors off still some grease there... open and close with ease:D

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Ok I'm gonna give this a shot but want to clarify something before I do. In the picture below: The lower black screw uses T-50 trox and I am to remove it once I have unpluged the wires then the retainer strap. All this above I understand but as shown in the pic below in the black circle upper part of the hinge pin it is painted over. Do I need to score the paint or does it stay intact?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts