JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok call it a noob question, but what does a stinger do for you?

I'm sorry but I don't see how it is integral to anything and frankly they look awkward and out of place.

Can someone explain to me the thinking behind them? Nothing against anyone who has them I just don't understand the logic that's all.

·
Registered
575 Posts
if you are going down a steep grade and happen to flip forward it should push your rig on the side instead of going end over end...thus saving your engine too.

it can also be used to "slide" up a big ledge too.

hope that helps some

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
For one thing they offer nice leverage to attach a recovery line to if a rig is in a 'tippy' situation.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All good responses, thanks.

I did imagine the protection from an extreme grade would be a reason, but the recovery point is something I didn't think of.

Does anyone have a POV shot of one while driving? Or how much do they interfere with commuter driving knowing you have an extra 2 feet of steel bar in front of you in stop'n'go traffic?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
They are nice for gauging where your front end is
We had a situation last time out of a super steep descent with a tight turn at the bottom, it was definitely helpful
But 99% for looks
Hope to never use the 1%

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't have one, and I used to think they were pointless, and honestly having one on most of the trails I do would get me hung up on trees. But the first time you drop the front tires off a waterfall and the rear tires come up behind you you'll wish you had one.

Sent from work with tapatalk.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
some of the current offerings ARE just for looks. Don't forget that.

before nick had that custom one, the stinger that came with that bumper crushed like a pop can on a rock. i don't think that would have stopped much...

just something to consider when looking for one. If you want it functional, make sure to do your homework...

both his and mine are heavy wall DOM... the weak link on both our rigs now is the bumpers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.