JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too lazy to use the search.. Can anybody tell me the real use of a stinger on a bumper? Pros/Cons? I've seen some bumpers "smittybilt" and "addictive desert designs" have optional stingers that "bolt on" to the base bumper? Is it just cosmetics? Or something else?

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Most just use them for aesthetics, there are some that are actually useful however.

They can keep you from going end over end, this is really just a short wheelbase problem however on steep descents. Having a stinger for this purpose on an Unlimited is pretty optimistic.

Other stingers that clear the hood provide protection to the radiator and can help the cage out as well when going over.

If it's not well supported, and/or below the hood line, it's only really good for bumping into things.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The REAL purpose is very similar to what goody said preventing you from going end over end. Essentially what should happen worst case scenario is you land on your stinger and the design should tip you to the side if nobody "fixes" you in time. So you should land on your side, which replacing some broken mirrors, fenders, doors, so on and so forth is cheaper than end over end.

·
It never ends...
2,904 Posts
Goody said it well. I have one on T-Rex to protect the hood in case of roll over.

I've done descents steep enough that my bumper drags but have never rocked up on the stinger.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks cool, but I guess it's not much use to my uses. I'd rather have a 20" rigid there instead :bounce2:

·
Registered
171 Posts
So people can't cut you off in traffic.

And I guess what goody said too.
THIS. And deer. If you live in an area with shitty drivers and/or large wild game, a stinger might be a good investment. Mine has saved my ass several times. Hit a deer once, no damage to my jeep, save a popped out fog light. I also used mine to push a broken down car out of rush hour traffic the other day. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looks cool, but I guess it's not much use to my uses. I'd rather have a 20" rigid there instead :bounce2:
You can have both...

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you are contemplating buying one I think they look better on more aggressive builds. For more mild builds I think a pre runner or bull bar looks better. But some may think differently... to each their own!

·
Jeepineer
1,495 Posts
Deer diverter. Pushes them under the rig and/or breaks them up. :suicide:

Or, to add to what goody said, draw a line from the top of the stinger to the top of the windshiled. Saves the engine/radiator in a flop.

In a forward flop, if it can't stop you, it will push you sideways, which is an arguably softer impact than landing flat on the roof.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Cons

Agreed that bumper looks like it is leaning towards the front of the vehicle
I didn't see any cons. A con is that if you do it on your front end you can roll to a corner of your jeep causing more damage then what would have happened without a stinger. You also loose some times with your approach angle.

Who makes the bumper on the orange jeep posted above?

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
It bothers me that neither the top, nore the front of that bumper are parallel to something.... it looks... twisted.
x2, do not want.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts