JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So I'm running this through my head, and want to see if I'm crazy, or if anyone's done this. I'm looking at picking up some Prothane or Energy Suspension poly bushings for my sway bars. They're cheap, so worst case, I burned $30. Anyway...

I want to gain a little more stability and more predictable handling on-road without losing anything off-road. For the front, I have no worries, as I'll have it disconnected off-road. For the rear, I'm THINKING that the reduced flex in the swaybar may actually help stability. However, I'm concerned that stiffer bushings may cause a reduction in flex. Anyone got any words on this? Thanks :) Mark W.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
The flex comes from the sway bar, not the bushings, so it shouldn't make any difference to the flex. I'd be surprised if you could notice much difference on the road, but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm figuring. I just wondered if the swaybar being able to deflect less would cause any degradation in off-road flex/articulation. As for difference, I doubt it'll be anything big, but every bit counts :) Mark W.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I'd say this is definitely something worth looking into, not so much from a 'performance' standpoint as just failure.

my bushings on my original stock e-disco were mashed into nothing at about 40K miles.
I was going to look into replacing them but Zack Massey gave me his e-disco after he blew it up and went to antirocks to keep my canbus hack/bypass experiments going.

His only had a few thousand miles on it so the bushings were still good - but it's only a matter of time.

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
Poly swaybarbushings would make a huge difference. I did them on my 5.9 and it was night and day

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK- update! Just got these suckers installed. The rear was EASY- just an A->A swap. The front required cutting the bushings off, which sucked, but so it goes :)

Anyway, driving impressions- HOLY SHIT!

Yeah, nothing major :) As expected, but I did notice a small improvement in squish/squirm when transitioning (left turn to right turn, and so on)- no appreciable increase in NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness), or any downside except the $30 spent and time in installation :) So, I'm happy :) Mark W.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Thanks for the input, it got me curious.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ Exactly. I figure that I could weld the damn front on for all I care, as it gets disconnected when I wheel :) Mark W.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts