JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've got a '12 its a few days old and the factory stereo has to go. Just the base cd system.

Anyhow I'm checking out all the nav systems in the store and I ask him about prices he asks me what I have.. I tell him and he says exact words:

"oh man yeah you gotta come back like next year cause if its a newer jeep it uses a fiber optic cable for the computer here's my card keep checking in"

I won't post what my reply was.

Can I not pull out the factory deck, pop in a new system with a jeep wheel controls compatable module and giver?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good thing he said something like that... So he doesn't work on your jeep. If he can't figure out a jeep, he shouldn't be working on any vehicles. Let me know if you have any questions on the install for your Jeep. I own a shop and can give you some insight on this.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
So the guy doesn't know every make and model off the top of his head. Some vehicles do use fiber optics for audio, hell BMW has been doing it for 10 years now...it'd be about right for domestics to be that far behind.

·
Registered
295 Posts
YES, you can upgrade your head unit and get all your steering wheel controls to work. I did it with my 2012, you just need an adapter for the steering wheels controls. I upgraded to the pioneer avh-8400 and i added the navigation module. Great unit with a detachable face.

Crutchfield will give you all the answers you need...

·
Registered
50 Posts
i replaced my head unit with a clarion CZ500 Bluetooth unit with hands free and music streaming. the Mopar kit to add Bluetooth to my stock 6 disk radio was going to be over 300 plus, and i would have to take it to the dealer and porgram it as well for another 100.
Check out carstereo.com. i got the stereo and the adapters and dash kit needed to install al of it for right under 300. now i stream music from my iphone and never take it out of my pocket. plays mp3 cd's and hands free calling. comes with the mic too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was actually thinking of one of these ebay: 170822408672

... I know its probably "crap"

however, it has android on it and wifi... meaning I can get internet from my smart phone's hotspot setting and with that gives me google maps (including downloaded offline maps)

It also lets me get a bluetooth odb2 connector and download some pretty cool apps which give me any guage I want on screen without having to actually install guages ect.

as well as dvd all that other stuff.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ok so I've got a '12 its a few days old and the factory stereo has to go. Just the base cd system.

Anyhow I'm checking out all the nav systems in the store and I ask him about prices he asks me what I have.. I tell him and he says exact words:

"oh man yeah you gotta come back like next year cause if its a newer jeep it uses a fiber optic cable for the computer here's my card keep checking in"

I won't post what my reply was.

Can I not pull out the factory deck, pop in a new system with a jeep wheel controls compatable module and giver?
I bought a mygig RHB that was pulled from a '10 Jeep off eBay.
Plug and play. Great improvement and it took maybe a hour to swap the radio. That includes 30 minutes trying to fish out a socket I dropped between the console and the seat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts