JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has the best and what are all your opinions?

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Best? In my opinion I don't need any "high performance" dampeners here. No high speed desert running or really demanding conditions. I bought a $30 pro comp because my stocker failed, shouldn't need much more than that. Anything more may be masking other issues in my opinion.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My Choice

I chose the Skyjacker Dual... I love the fact that I can get a nice, smooth, tight turn even in 6" or more of mud... it works well....

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
....I bought a $30 pro comp because my stocker failed, shouldn't need much more than that. Anything more may be masking other issues in my opinion.
This is great advice from a pro. I have friends running 37's with no SS. They are a good idea but if you have to run a heavy duty one you may be masking other issues like I am right now. I'm replacing everything on my front end soon so I plan to run a budget one after that. Just my .02

·
Registered
158 Posts
I still have the stock steering stabilizer on mine but I am looking for something a little stiffer for highway driving. It feels a little soft when its really windy on the highway. A friend gave me is rough country dual stabilizer but it wont work on my jeep because of the upgraded front axle so thinking of just going with the bilstein.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
I still have the stock steering stabilizer on mine but I am looking for something a little stiffer for highway driving. It feels a little soft when its really windy on the highway. A friend gave me is rough country dual stabilizer but it wont work on my jeep because of the upgraded front axle so thinking of just going with the bilstein.
Stabilizer isn't going to do much for you barn on wheels on a windy day. That's a combo of the plain aerodynamics and body roll coming in to play. The wind isn't turning the front tires...You can get a little firmer wheel with one, but you will still get tossed with wind

Sent via paper airplane

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I just put on the Skyjacker Dual (in an effort to solve a death wobble issue). Everytyhing seems to be working much nicer and firmer. I know the steering stabs are not the most appropriate solution for the wobble, but so far it is the only thing that has fixed it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just put on the Skyjacker Dual (in an effort to solve a death wobble issue). Everytyhing seems to be working much nicer and firmer. I know the steering stabs are not the most appropriate solution for the wobble, but so far it is the only thing that has fixed it.
It didn't fix it...It just masked the real issue, which will return after some time.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
It didn't fix it...It just masked the real issue, which will return after some time.
That, or it wasn't death wobble to begin with.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I'm running 37's and beadlocks right now with no steering stablizer... i have everything dialed in rides nice and smooth.. even at 70.. i might throw a cheap one on their just to tighten it up alittle . but i agree if everything is setup correct really dont need it..

·
Registered
328 Posts
I used the Bilstiens SS and didn't really like it.......being a gas filled shock it always had a push when you took your hand off the wheel. Ending up selling that and got a Rough Country 2.2 love it.

I will say I did see a dual (Opposing SS) Bilistein and it looked good...made more sense both shocks pushing in toward the center of the JK.....

JJ

·
Registered
54 Posts
Im confused by all this DW steering stabilizer stuff. Im about to go buy the bilstein and see if I can stop DW I get ONLY after hitting big potholes. I dont know what else to try I followed the DW checklist thing and no result. Now with a properly set up front end with no stabilizer can you hit a huge 6 inch deep pothole and not start death wobble?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
That, or it wasn't death wobble to begin with.
I can be convinced that I am just masking the problem.

If it was not the DW, then what? Happened after I drove over a rough section of a road or hit a speed bump wrong. Front tires would "wobble" and I would lose steering control for as much as 10-15 seconds. Was hard to replicate (as evidenced by Jeep dealer not ever experiencing it). The only other repairs done were tire rotation/balance and replacing a tie rod.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
When you guys say that you went through my list and didn't find anything, did you actually remove the steering stabilizer, trackbar, control arms, etc. to inspect all the bolt holes, welds, bushings, etc., and either switch to 9/16" trackbar bolts or weld in front and rear washers on the axle and frame side trackbar brackets?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
When you guys say that you went through my list and didn't find anything, did you actually remove the steering stabilizer, trackbar, control arms, etc. to inspect all the bolt holes, welds, bushings, etc., and either switch to 9/16" trackbar bolts or weld in front and rear washers on the axle and frame side trackbar brackets?

I missed the part about removing the stabilizer so I will try that next. And ive checked the upper trackbar bushing and torqued it to 140 lbft. Other than removing the steering stabilizer the only other thing I havent checked are the control arms. Would the bushings being bad in the stock control arms cause DW after hitting a pothole?

I havent tried weld in washers or a bigger bolt. When i loosened the upper trackbar bolt it had some slop im guessing thats because of the size difference you talk about. Could that actually be the problem even though its torqued to 140 ft lb?

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
I missed the part about removing the stabilizer so I will try that next. And ive checked the upper trackbar bushing and torqued it to 140 lbft. Other than removing the steering stabilizer the only other thing I havent checked are the control arms. Would the bushings being bad in the stock control arms cause DW after hitting a pothole?

I havent tried weld in washers or a bigger bolt. When i loosened the upper trackbar bolt it had some slop im guessing thats because of the size difference you talk about. Could that actually be the problem even though its torqued to 140 ft lb?
Yes.

Yes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts