JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it important to have a stabilizer. i scrapped mine at about 9000 miles and never replaced it. i now have about 18000 miles on the jk with 37s and heim joints on the steering and have never had a problem with the death wobble or any thing. what is it used for every one tells me i need one but so far i have not felt the need to replace it.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I've seen a few people that are no longer using theirs. It is pretty much used to absorb the bumps and vibrations from the road. When using the stock stabilizer, it is practically like not using one at all. They have almost no pre-load/ resistance to them at all. If it doesn't bother you, I don't see why not using it, would be a problem. I might be concerned about possibly more wear and tear on the steering box or other components...not sure.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good point wear and tear on steering box never thought about that.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
It's just hard to recommend putting the stock stabilizer back on the JK. That tiny thing feels incapable of warding off potential damage to other components. Also hard to justify spending $65 at the dealership, when most (beefier) aftermarket stabilizers cost less. :shaking:

·
Registered
2,718 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Hey PIG, Got one question about that bracket. I got no lift and that bracket goes bolted into the front track bar bracket. And for that i need at least a 2" lift right? So i just want to use the steering stab reloc kit with the steering stab tie rod clamp. Or can i use that other Bracket without the front track bar bracket? I was about to call you guys about that but now that this comes up ill just ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I've seen a few people that are no longer using theirs. It is pretty much used to absorb the bumps and vibrations from the road. When using the stock stabilizer, it is practically like not using one at all. They have almost no pre-load/ resistance to them at all. If it doesn't bother you, I don't see why not using it, would be a problem. I might be concerned about possibly more wear and tear on the steering box or other components...not sure.
X2 Helps deal with bumps/potholes/etc, reduces wear and tear, and is safer if you have a front tire blowout.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I'm not going to replace my smashed stabilizer until I can afford the relocation kit. Pig, how much for the set listed above?
$125 for the stabilizer and $45 for the bracket......

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Hey PIG, Got one question about that bracket. I got no lift and that bracket goes bolted into the front track bar bracket. And for that i need at least a 2" lift right? So i just want to use the steering stab reloc kit with the steering stab tie rod clamp. Or can i use that other Bracket without the front track bar bracket? I was about to call you guys about that but now that this comes up ill just ask.
Use the PPM-8006 if you are using the factory stabilizer. The Stabilizer Clamp will work with the factory stabilizer or the Poly or Fox after market unit.

Use the PPM-8007 if you are using the Poly or Fox stabilizer. The Stabilizer Clamp will work with the Poly or Fox after market unit.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
$125 and $45

$125 for the stabilizer and $45 for the bracket......
Cool - I'm just guessing that the stabilizer is an improvement over the factory. Not that it is hard to improve on it...... Guess it will be after Christmas... But my wife will be there Saturday if you want to give her hints.... :laughing:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Ok OK i admit. I do make a lot of questions but i want to make sure that what i order is what i need.
Im making my build backwards as everybody does. So i want to make sure i get it right. I want to build the meanest stock jk ever:D

Joke apart i just decided to go another route with this.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Well, i just learned that for the light trails that i have been lately i dont need a lift or huge tires. Im doing really good for a newbie. So when i said i was going to take another route, its not something that nobody has done.

Im just going to improve the driveline components that i think need to be. Not a big deal. I just dont have that much money around these days to buy and brake.

Im planning a trip to Gulches ORV, i think thats going to kick my behind but i put my mind to see what my jk is capable to do right now. :beer:

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Well, i just learned that for the light trails that i have been lately i dont need a lift or huge tires. Im doing really good for a newbie. So when i said i was going to take another route, its not something that nobody has done.

Im just going to improve the driveline components that i think need to be. Not a big deal. I just dont have that much money around these days to buy and brake.

Im planning a trip to Gulches ORV, i think thats going to kick my behind but i put my mind to see what my jk is capable to do right now. :beer:
If you read enough of these posts in all the forums, the guys who buy and brake their mega-buck lifts are broker then dirt...here's my pic for a rig that'll get you to 90+% of the places the boys with empty pockets and tales of sorrow go.....

* BFG MT 285 x 70 x 17 tires on stock 17" rims
* Old Man Emu shocks and springs
* Fox or Poly steering stabilizer with brackets
* MOPAR Rubi Rock Rail
* Skid Row front skid (replace that tupperware air dam)

That should do it...I got a nominal 2" lift without screwing with the steering and suspension geometry; more then adequate side rail protection; steering stabilizer that works, and a bit of front end protection versus the plastic thingy...and you'll still have a decent credit rating after the fact, as well as an intact warranty (not that it really matter). ;)

A

·
0 Posts
If you read enough of these posts in all the forums, the guys who buy and brake their mega-buck lifts are broker then dirt...here's my pic for a rig that'll get you to 90+% of the places the boys with empty pockets and tales of sorrow go.....

* BFG MT 285 x 70 x 17 tires on stock 17" rims
* Old Man Emu shocks and springs
* Fox or Poly steering stabilizer with brackets
* MOPAR Rubi Rock Rail
* Skid Row front skid (replace that tupperware air dam)

That should do it...I got a nominal 2" lift without screwing with the steering and suspension geometry; more then adequate side rail protection; steering stabilizer that works, and a bit of front end protection versus the plastic thingy...and you'll still have a decent credit rating after the fact, as well as an intact warranty (not that it really matter). ;)
I agree. You really don’t need even need that many mods to be a web wheeler. In fact, many people web wheel successfully without even owning a 4x4 :thefinger:

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I agree. You really don’t need even need that many mods to be a wheeler. In fact, I have to sell my asz on the streets to pay for all my mods:

I love this game.....:thefinger::thefinger::thefinger:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts