JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wheeling yesterday and broke the steering stabilizer on my 2012 JKU. Now looking for recommendations for what to look for, brands, etc. In my research so far, I know a piston shaft of 1/2" or so seems pretty standard among the HD replacement models. I also found relocation kits that move the stabilizer higher and out of harms way, which seems to be a no brainer.

Any suggestions or recommendations you can make is most appreciated. Your experiences welcome.

·
Registered
596 Posts

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,383 Posts
I relocated and threw on a rancho a couple years back. Nothing fancy but works well.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I've ran a Teraflex, Bilstein 5100, Superlift and the stock steering stabalizer...
Couldn't tell the difference in any of them.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just relocate the factory, it is a stupid waste of money "upgrading" the steering stabilizer as the factory one does the job.
couldn't agree more.
I'm running 38's with pro comps cheapest POS. I got the lifetime warranty and smashed it into rocks twice. I wore one out. 3 free ones and I'm and $30 into it total. 61000 miles on the jeep with 35's or bigger.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
Definitely get a steering stabilizer relocation bracket.

Look at the Fox 2.0 ATS steering stabilizer. It's pricey (~$325), but it is unique in design. It does not push towards one side or the other (typically, they will push to the driver's side). I'm about to replace my Fox 2.0 IFP steering stabilizer with the Fox 2.0 ATS SS.
http://www.ridefox.com/product.php?make=Jeep&model=Wrangler JK&t=shocks&year=2015-2010&position=Stabilizer&m=truck&p=21&ref=filter
I agree with this 100%. The ATS stabilizer is amazing.

If you've never run an upgraded steering stabilizer on a JK with oversized tires on it (35/37/40s) you're missing out. The ATS took 100% off the push out of my steering and made it so that I could drive 80 MPH down the interstate with one hand on the bottom of the wheel on 37s. I spent the money to put one on my Ram 2500 as well, but the clamp isn't big enough for the 2014. Bummer. :(

I have also run the standard Fox stabilizers as well as Bilstein and they both make the Jeep pull one direction or the other going down the road.

The stock stabilizer will do the job if the front end is set up properly, but the feel of an aftermarket stabilizer hard to beat with larger tires.

Also check to make sure your tie rod isn't bent.

·
Registered
388 Posts
i was running a bilstien and it caused the jeep to pull left. i lived with it for a while until i bashed it on a rock. then i replaced it with an OME with a relocation bracket to put it out of harms way above the tie rod. jeep no longer pulls left and my ground clearance is increased.

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I relocated my steering stabilizer to the trash can. Honestly, while they do serve a purpose they also like to hide potential steering component problems.

Running 37's I can still drive down the interstate with 1 hand on the wheel can control the Jeep just fine. I don't see how a steering stabilizer will help there at all. Its only purpose is to soften bump steer and relieve driver fatigue caused by undesired vibrations in the steering system. If you keep your tires balanced correctly, keep your alignment set correctly, and keep your steering components in good condition then there really isn't a major need for the steering stabilizer. I'd rather know immediately if something is out of whack in my front end than drive along in blissful ignorance until the problem has become bad enough to override the steering stabilizer.

·
Registered
231 Posts
PSC. Forget driving down the highway with one finger -- I can steer my 38's with one finger while locked in the rocks.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
JeepSWAG.com- Wood's steering stabilizer relocate
Stabilizer-Monroe #SC-2960 $29

Expensive stabilizers---no

Tie Rod now that's a different story - spend some money. Love my Synergy Chromoly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts