JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and having found anything really to answer my questions. I'm debating between 35's and 37's currently. If I go with the 37's, I assume I will need some type of steering upgrade? I've seem some people running stock pumps and gears with aftermarket tierods and drag-links, but I'm not sure what would be a good way to steer the 37's the best. This will be a DD 2012 JKUR (arrives sometime this week or next to the dealer :bounce:) and I'd like the road manners with the steering to be good response and ease of turning. With the 35's, I don't think I'll have a problem with steering, but I'm wondering what you guys are running for 37's and what is best? I'm looking at running 2.5" of lift with 3.5" being as high as I would ever go (I know a drag-link flip then). What would y'all suggest?

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
You'll be fine running stock steering components on 37s for quite a while depending on your Jeep use/abuse. I ran 37s on stock steering for long time with no issues ...really only upgraded to Poly components cause I got a good deal.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I ran 3.5" of lift, would I need a drag link flip? I was thinking about RK's 3.5 X Factor system...but saw that the 3.5" max travel had the drag link kit in it?

·
Registered
911 Posts
On the street mine is fine. Last few times I went offroading I boiled the fluid over in mine. Thought I had a leak but it just got hot. I am looking at adding a power steering cooler now that holds more fluid.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have a link to a good system and how much does this cost?

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
For Hydro assist...which...you won't need right away..but it is recommended with 37" and bigger...if you play in the rocks a lot.

http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/hydrosteering.html

$499.

Install it yourself. Just ask them to send you the steering box already ported...when they have one. If not...then your jeep will be sitting for a week or so until you pull your box and send it in to get ported...then sent back.

For now...get yourself upgraded ball joint's... a heavier duty adjustable drag link....and a line cooler would hurt. simple install.

I've got this system on mine...works perfect!

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
For Hydro assist...which...you won't need right away..but it is recommended with 37" and bigger...if you play in the rocks a lot.

$499.

Install it yourself. Just ask them to send you the steering box already ported...when they have one. If not...then your jeep will be sitting for a week or so until you pull your box and send it in to get ported...then sent back.
Damn, I knew there had to be a cheaper option than PSC. Though PSC is super-nice. I may have to get this soon, going to 37s this Summer...I'm already annoyed with how it steers on rocks with 35s..

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would worry a lot less about the steering components than just the friggin' track bar mount at the axle (and frame). Stock is pussified non-sense. I tore my mount off the axle on the trail even with the RK relocation bracket (which was super stout). After battery welding it together in the middle of the Rubicon trail, I cut the POS off at home and rewelded a whole new beefy 3/16" bracket from Poly. That should be your first upgrade less you want to risk driving off the road at speed when your stock mount fails.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would worry a lot less about the steering components than just the friggin' track bar mount at the axle (and frame). Stock is pussified non-sense. I tore my mount off the axle on the trail even with the RK relocation bracket (which was super stout). After battery welding it together in the middle of the Rubicon trail, I cut the POS off at home and rewelded a whole new beefy 3/16" bracket from Poly. That should be your first upgrade less you want to risk driving off the road at speed when your stock mount fails.
Something like this?
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Synergy-Suspension-Jeep-JK-Front-Track-Bar-Brace-p-24357.html

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

$499.

For now...get yourself upgraded ball joint's... a heavier duty adjustable drag link....and a line cooler would hurt. simple install.

I've got this system on mine...works perfect!
With the ball joints, will that be something in conjunction to the hydrosteering or is it a bandaid until I get the hydrosteering?

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
That is the frame side, the axle side is more problematic.

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop...K-Weld-On-Rear-Track-Bar-Bracket-p-29520.html

With the ball joints, will that be something in conjunction to the hydrosteering or is it a bandaid until I get the hydrosteering?
It's just a pretty inevitable fail. The factory ball joints wear pretty quickly as is, doesn't have a whole lot to do with directly his ram assist recommendation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.