JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gear is leaking from the bottom as expected with 50k on the clock and 35's. Trying to go over my options for a replacement gear, I'm not ready or in the market to go with an assist system yet, just want a new or remanufacted stock steering box. I've done some searching both here on JKO and locally, and I tried to get the dealer to warranty it, or offer up some sort of goodwill assistance, but that was a big negative. What are my options as far as a steering gear box goes? All the local auto chain stores, Napa, Checker, Auto Zone dont carry one, but have it listed at a cost of $275.00 for a rebuild. I dont see any options listed on PSC's website, but I do have an email into WTOR. Any other options I'm missing? What are you guys that aren't running assist systems and out of warranty doing for the issue? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
if its an early 08 west texas might be able to rebuild it, look for an 07 box, they are the rebuildable ones. i'll have one available next week

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if its an early 08 west texas might be able to rebuild it, look for an 07 box, they are the rebuildable ones. i'll have one available next week
Thanks for the info. Let me know when yours becomes available, if I haven't come up with a solution we can try to work something out.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Mine has been leaking for a while. Not nearly enough to empty my power steering fluid, so im gonna leave it as is for now until I upgrade to hydro assist w west texas offroad. Someone told me that adding some lucas power steering leak stop can temporarily halt the leak, but I have yet to try that. Also rock auto has remans for around 170-180

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heard back from WTOR, and they can and will rebuild the stock box. Unfortunately they don't have any cores so I need to track one down to send to them. Also gonna check out the above mentioned places. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Howe Performance can rebuild a stock box and put some parts back in it that are a little higher quality than stock, that's who does ours. After you get a new box look into getting a sector shaft brace of some sort.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.