JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My JK went in for warranty work and they replaced the steering gear box with the new "chinese" type gear box. I had the old style that is rebuildable and can add the hydraulic assist later if wanted (Redneck Ram).

Anyways long story short:

I was offered my old one with bad seals for a core charge to keep. $125, Would you pay and keep it?

Thanks!

· Registered
13,219 Posts
That is really sketchy that the dealership is offering a part for sale that they warrantied..but the price isn't too bad for the old box. You can still port the Chinese box however.

· Official Monkey Business
12,216 Posts
I wouldn't buy the old box. Like Goody said, you can still tap into the new box. Its on my 2013 mod list.

· Registered
174 Posts
I wouldn't buy the old box. Like Goody said, you can still tap into the new box. Its on my 2013 mod list.
Didn't think it was nearly as easy porting the new box, I'll look forward to learning more.

That said, for $125, I'd buy it, self port it, and sell it, or buy and sell as is. That's a CHEAP gear box

Even if you don't care to sell it...I would have killed to have a standby gear box lying around several weeks back

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

· Registered
13,219 Posts
I've ported a Delphi and a Chinese box side by side. Pretty much the same process.

Sent via paper airplane

· Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Good to know. I wonder why PSC won't do them

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
I'll bet they probably did some at one point in time, one or more failed(cause they're Chinese junk) and they took the heat on it. Probably figured it wasn't worth it.

· Registered
410 Posts
I'll bet they probably did some at one point in time, one or more failed(cause they're Chinese junk) and they took the heat on it. Probably figured it wasn't worth it.
That's pretty much exactly what I remember PSC telling me when I asked about converting mine before buying the JKX. Of course, that was a few years ago and when i heard no it really wasn't important to me to remember... :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.