JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a little searching tonight and I think that I already know the answer to this one, but I'll ask anyway. My steering gear box is leaking from the bottom somewhere. I have fluid all over my pitman arm and around the lower part of the gear box. Any options other than a new box? I can buy a ton of cardboard and ATF for what a new box costs. By the way, I'm running 35s and the steering still feels good. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Mine was leaking at the top and running down. Was replaced under warranty. I believe psc rebuilds them and you can run a ram assist. Wouldnt be a bad time to upgrade if you rock crawl it

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No leaks at the top, just the bottom. With 57K I am well out of warranty. Is the ram assist still street legal?

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
I don't see a ram assist wouldn't be since you are still mechanically connected to the wheels.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
In most states hydro-assist is legal, where as full-hydro isn't. If you don't want to go with a full hydro-assist setup, WTOR can just rebuild the box with HD bearings and seals for around $130 IIRC.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I don't see a ram assist wouldn't be since you are still mechanically connected to the wheels.
It helps reduce strain on the sector shaft, especially off-road.

Hydro assist is legal and I believe full hydro is only illegal in Tennessee, and a few other states have vague laws about it, but most do not have any.

Sounds like your sector shaft seal is leaking, which is pretty common. The FSM doesn't list the steering box as a serviceable part, but it is. You need to replace the seals and maybe the bearing. Unlike many steering boxes there is no c-ring right before the seals. There is a c-ring but I believe it may be under the first seal which appears to be pressed on. You may have to pull the sector shaft out to service it, but I've never got that far into it so can't say for sure.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. As always the advice is much appreciated. I will probably end up going with the rebuild for now. But checking out the PSC website, I have some new items for my X-mas list.

·
Registered
490 Posts
In most states hydro-assist is legal, where as full-hydro isn't. If you don't want to go with a full hydro-assist setup, WTOR can just rebuild the box with HD bearings and seals for around $130 IIRC.
Do you have a link to WTOR ?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Is there a better aftermarket box out there that can replace the stock unit?
Not yet, the boxes that PSC provides are simply new OEM ones that are modified for the hydro-assist.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Some time in 2009 Chrysler replaced the OEM Delphi POS steering box with a Chinese POS steering box. My Delphi box was knocking & sloppy at < 10k miles. I'd had an incident where I thought perhaps the sector shaft had been bent, so I stepped up & ordered a new box. The replacement was the Chinese box. So far it has actually been a better box, no slop & knock free. I still have the Delphi unit which I'll probably send off to PSC should I decide to g with a hydro setup. What's needed is a good 3/4 ton truck box as a replacement.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ive said it a MILLION times. Someone in the aftermarket needs to make a better box and steering shaft. Its a big weak point on the JK. They would make a killing.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Ive said it a MILLION times. Someone in the aftermarket needs to make a better box and steering shaft. Its a big weak point on the JK. They would make a killing.

I agree:beer:

I am actually surprised that someone doesn't at this point...

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Agreed. There doesn't seem to be anything particularly unique about the JK box, if it's a bolt pattern issue they could make an adapter. C'mon PSC, Howe, AGR...well, maybe not AGR. Many of us just want a box & pump that have more power, not a full blown hydraulic system.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ran 35X14X15" tires on a 4 cylinder TJ with the stock steering set up and never had any issues. Now I drive a 07 JK Unlimited with 35's and if the rpms are below 1000 it feels like I have no power steering at all. I agree, there has to be something to replace/upgrade the steering system on this pig with out having to go Hydro. Besides, in todays average home, most guys cant afford the 1600-2000 dollars just to buy the hydro assist system.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I keep thinking there's a GM/Delphi or Dodge Ram box & matching pump that would work. Don't make me come down there....

·
Registered
1 Posts
steering issue

i now have the same problem in my 2007 jk unlimited my steering feels hard to turn at lower rpm what is the easiest and most economical way to fix this issue

1 - 20 of 20 Posts