JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came over to catch up on my JK reading and ran across alot of guys with tent trailers. Well I got tired of setting up so decided to build something that all I needed to do was open the door and go to sleep. Here is my build thread on it.

ealizing that an offroad Teardrop will be to small for the 3 of us I have decided to take it a bit further. One day I will build one of my own designs but this will get it going much quicker and should work till i have more time. I got a 5x10 Enclosed trailer. Plan is to build a bunk for the little one and the wife and I will sleep on the floor.

With this I can camp anywhere. It will just look like a Jeep parked with a cargo trailer attached to it.

Started insulating the roof. I should be in the r10 or higher range on the roof.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the front cabinets welded up. I am starting the Vent install on the roof. I got a Fan-Tastic vent for the top. It moves alot of air and can go in or out so it should keep it nice and cool. Also looks like I am going to have 32 gallons of water if I can make the containers fit.

Holes drilled in the top as a thunder is playing in the back ground:

Bigger Hole in the top.

She is in and right siliconed up. It poured and hour after I got it in so I got a good leak test done. no leaks!!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is all insulated and the first wall panel went in.

Window is mounted

Had to make a spacer for the inside window. So the ring would clamp it in properly.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The whole thing is paneled.

New deadbolt RV lock installed.

Fenders are reshaped and mounted

Found these cool lights at Sam's. No wiring. Run off batts and put out a ton of light. Little LEDs but BRIGHT.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the Rat Rack done almost. This is were the kiddo will sleep.

This is pick from the back. Storage under it will be accessible from the rear door.

This is pic from the inside:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solar is in

Rat Rack... Better shot:

Closets:

Storage under the rat Rack. Batteries and water tank.

Front door and closets

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well that brings us up to speed. This is were I am today. Working on some AC for Labor Days trip to Marble Falls.

Working on the AC system.

This is a vent used on house roofs. It is going to be used for the intake to help get out the humidity.

This will be the hook up for the duct work. This is an RV septic tank 4 hook flange.

Here it is almost done. The pipe vent on the bottom will be for return air. The top box will be for the AC air.

Still need to seal it all up and do some more work on it but you get the idea.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That thing is awesome well done. Do you have any pics of the inside all set up?
Post nine has a few. It shows the back loaded and one of the side. I might have some on Facebook. Right now it empty getting the AC ducted in. Test running it as we speak.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tonights work:

AC sitting behind the tire doing a test run. It was 82 in the garage and I got the camper down to 65. It did that in 25 minutes and held it for an hour.

Will probably shorten the ducts but here you can see the front of the AC and how it hooks up through the floor.

Scored some SWEET stainless pipe super cheap thanks to Lowes marking down wrong. This is the duct work inside.

Here you can see on intake and one exhaust.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Testing started at 2pm. Currently the temp is 87 here, Heat index is 92. Camper on the inside is 82 with side window cracked. That surprised me. So I will keep track of it every 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes it is 76*

After 30 minutes it is 70*

I think it will work plenty good enough. Never thought it would get that cold in there.

It is currently 80 with a heat index of 82. Temp inside is 62. YEAH!!!!!

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
fucking awesome. Plus if kids get out of control you can lock them in their own time out cage.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts