JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wouldn't ya know as I'm leaving for a wheelin trip an issue pops up... I start the my jeep and the starter stays engaged after the jeep starts. If I shut it off and immediately start it again is stays engaged for a couple of seconds after the engine has started and then disengages and the jeep runs perfectly. Other times it does not quit. Any ideas of where to look first?

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
Sounds like the starter has gone south.

I would rather change my starter than the flywheel/hopefully no damage to those teeth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the starter has gone south.

I would rather change my starter than the flywheel/hopefully no damage to those teeth.

Yea, I haven't let it go for more then 10-15 seconds so hopefully not. Was hoping maybe it was just a relay/solenoid but not sure.if i can get it started without the starter staying engaged might take it up to a shop and get the starter tested.

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
Yea, I haven't let it go for more then 10-15 seconds so hopefully not. Was hoping maybe it was just a relay/solenoid but not sure.if i can get it started without the starter staying engaged might take it up to a shop and get the starter tested.
It's an easy pull/not too pricey a fix if it is bad.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to close out the thread, issue was indeed the starter, 20 min easy fix... 2 bolts, a nut, and a plug. Bench tested the old one and the solenoid would kick out the shaft and spin but wouldn't disengage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts