JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So Sunday I did a little fording through moderately deep water. After I got home I went to the car wash and hose her down. Now I notice squeeks...

After some investigation, the squeeks are coming from the lower show mounts. Tonight I take one apart to clean an lubricate. It occurred to me after removing the crappy Chyrsler bolts that it is really not the correct bolt for the application. See, the bolt is threaded the entire length. It should be a shouldered bolt so it doesn't grind away at the bushing. It then occurs to me that all the suspension bolts are threaded the full length. I'm going to replace the junk with quality bolts with the correct shoulder. Below is an example. This is replacement for the lower shock mounts.

I replaced the rear mounting bolts - no more squeek. Imagine what a full length threaded bolt is doing to the track bar bushings ????

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
They are not the wrong bolts. They are used on all the suspension components, and all the suspension ends including the shocks have steel sleeves so the bolt won't chew through the bushing. And unless the shoulder runs the entire lenght of the bushing (leaving the threaded end sticking out) you still will have contact.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts