JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I figured I start up my build thread. Many of you have been great so far in helping me move along with ideas on how to end up with my jeep just how I want it. I'm starting with a 2 door sport and I'm working to develop a LCOG beach cruiser. I'm in Tampa and not too close to any major rock crawling so I won't be doing much of that. I'm working on getting a look somewhat similar to the River Raider Dune Raider. We'll see how it turns out. Anyway here is a picture of what I started with. Basic 2012 2 door sport. Then the first changes I made were to the front bumper and windshield.

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ordered the JK Pro-Crawler Front Bumper from River Raider. I wanted to retain my fog lights so the guys at River Raider mounted brackets for the lights. At the time I ordered the bumper I wasn't sure what fog lights I was going to use so the bumper mounting holes were not pre-drilled. This way I could decide how far out I wanted the bumper to extend and still fit the fog lights in front of the radiator.

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Becasue of how far out I mounted the bumper there was a bit of a gap between the bumper and the grill so I welded a strip to the bumper to close the gap.

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next I wanted to lay back the windshield so I altered the hinge and cut the brackets and re-welded both.

This also made a gap between the windshield and the cowl so then I had to add some metal to teh bottom of the windshield. (The blue circles are magnets)

Of course with the altered windshield the full doors no longerr fit so I found someone who had half doors and wanted to trade for my full doors. It worked out well becasue we both had black jeeps. Here's a look from the side.

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
now I'm working on the tailgate. Want it to be a fold down with the jeep emblem:

Once the tailgate is finished I'll be moving onto replacing the muffler so I can add the River Raider rear bumper.

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You have a serious set of metal fab skills! Very interesting project.
Any plans for a top?
Thanks. My only fab work prior to this is small metal art sculptures. It has been new to me to work on a car and a lot of fun. OF course I don't get all the credit. I have been getting a LOT of help from a Great friend (we'll call him the Best) who does have a lot of prior metal fab experience. I've been doing better with the grinding and finishing work myself.

As for the top - It will be a permanaent top off Jeep. I've been looking at the Eclipse Sun Shade as a solution to keep from getting burnt once everything is finished.

I will also comment that the work done above has taken about 6 months so it is not a fast moving project. but I will keep posting as I move along.

· Premium Member
5,707 Posts
Well that's one interesting build. Don't give jeep that idea though lol

Good job

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well that's one interesting build. Don't give jeep that idea though lol

Good job

I can't take credit for much of the idea. As I said some of the vision is coming from River Raider and some from the Jeep Lower 40. Although I'm not aiming for 40 inch tires. That's more than I want to get into. However the newer Jeep Flattop with 37" tires is also pretty good looking in my opinion.

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
love the front bumper.
wonder if i could make that work with a hidden winch and my rubi motor.......... probably not
I don't know that much would fit behind the bumper with the Rubicon engin but the River Raider build does have the winch behind the bumper which is pretty good looking. Of course they have swapped the engine and used a smaller radiator to get more room.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.