JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.5" skyjacker lift, and noticed yesterday that both front springs have been rubbing on the frame. That is, there are spots in the same location behind the springs that have had the paint rubbed off and bits of rust there. The only thing that could've come in contact are the springs.

Anyone else's springs do this? Any long-term effects? Possibility of weakening the springs?

tia,
!c

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll take some when I get home tonight and then upload them. But, I'm fairly certain nothing else could've caused this, without doing serious damage to the springs at least =)

!c

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
If they're rubbing while simply driving down the road...then dunno. If its while articulating while disconnected off road, then it might be as simple as needing some spring clips...Cheap and easy to do. Wondering if youve heard any noises coming from that area, like springs "rattling around" or something...?

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have the same lift and have not noticed anything out of the ordinary. i have not seen any rubbing.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If they're rubbing while simply driving down the road...then dunno. If its while articulating while disconnected off road, then it might be as simple as needing some spring clips...Cheap and easy to do. Wondering if youve heard any noises coming from that area, like springs "rattling around" or something...?
I'm pretty sure it's just when disconnected and off-roading. I don't hear anything out of the ordinary (that I can tell) on the road. Of course, off-road, when I really flex the front, I hear nothing but fender getting eaten up as this video attests :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs7N9itQ7zk

Actually, looks like n2rock took a vid I just found that sure sounds like metal rubbing on metal: (at around 0:18)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk5_RAVckZ8&feature=user

!c

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
Do you have adjustable track bars? If not, it's probably rubbing on one side because the axle is off center. It is probably just when flexing, and it shouldn't hurt anything other than rubbing some paint off. I have the 5" currie lift and mine rub the frame a bit when it's at full droop some times.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I wouldn't worry about hurting the spring by rubbing, the material they're made from (spring steel) is tough as hell.
The only thing that really kills springs is heat, as that takes the temper out, over extension, as it does have an operational limit, and just plain worn out from normal use, as they don't last forever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts