JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Due to a handful of people on here saying how Spec is awesome, I thought I'd contact them about a throwout bearing.

Mine is bad, again. Both lasted around 15k miles so I don't want to replace it with a factory part. On top of that, the dealer is jacking me around because they don't want to replace it.

Long story short, I called Spec to see if I could get a throwout bearing from them. He wasn't exactly helpful, but I did get out of him that Spec throwout bearings a factory parts.

WTF? He then went on to say it's the best part available. I told him about the Jeep TSB on that "best" part. He then said they never have problems with theirs.

So, are these bearings factory parts or what? Seems I've read somewhere on this board about them being much better quality.

Also, anyone know of a better throwout bearing?

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
I have the SPEC clutch and the throw out bearing they sent me has been making noise for a year now.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
AFAIK there are no aftermarket TOBs for the JK yet.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I have the SPEC clutch and the throw out bearing they sent me has been making noise for a year now.
X2 my Throwout bearing makes noise it's been on about 5,000 miles I have 2+

·
Registered
195 Posts
I installed a CenterForce crawl clutch and tried to find TOB that was not OE with no luck. My original TOB never made a sound but the replacement started within 3,000 miles. :pissed:

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well with a bit more searching parts sites and such, I've found that two are available. One is National brand, and the other says its Parts Master. I thought Parts Master was just a distributor though so I don't know. Different part numbers so I don't know.

I'm ordering the National one now from RockAuto. Hopefully it's better...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Spec has a history of low quality throwout bearings. I went through 3 on my Spec stage 3+ in my '04 Cobra. Finally just replaced it with a stock ford one and had no issues. Alot of it has to do with clutch adjustment, but I'm not even sure how to adjust a hydraulic clutch.

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
Spec has a history of low quality throwout bearings. I went through 3 on my Spec stage 3+ in my '04 Cobra. Finally just replaced it with a stock ford one and had no issues. Alot of it has to do with clutch adjustment, but I'm not even sure how to adjust a hydraulic clutch.
SPEC is using the factory TO bearing... our point is that the factory bearing brings the suck.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
SPEC is using the factory TO bearing... our point is that the factory bearing brings the suck.
I agree. I asked Spec if they planned on making an aftermarket bearing and was told "there is not enough interest".
I hope that we can convince them otherwise. I understand from a manufacturing point though.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Well with a bit more searching parts sites and such, I've found that two are available. One is National brand, and the other says its Parts Master. I thought Parts Master was just a distributor though so I don't know. Different part numbers so I don't know.

I'm ordering the National one now from RockAuto. Hopefully it's better...
So what did you find out? I'm about to place my order for this exact part.

Is this the one?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=219793

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
What kinda miles are you guys experiencing problems with your TO bearing? I'm at almost 40k and not a squeak out of mine. When it did squeak it was from dusty/muddy conditions, literally hosed out the inside of the bell-housing and it went away.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I can't have more than 3k since I installed a Spec 2 clutch and my TO is toast.

How were you able to hose out your bell housing?

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
I can't have more than 3k since I installed a Spec 2 clutch and my TO is toast.

How were you able to hose out your bell housing?
There is a slot in the very bottom of the bell. A fine pointed hose nozzle will get after it. Had a ton of mud come out of it at one point. But still running the factory one at 40k with zero mr. squeaky noise.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
And I called the dealer and was told that, that TOB is a very common bearing. I couldn't get one from NAPA however. $100 bucks at the stealer.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
And I called the dealer and was told that, that TOB is a very common bearing. I couldn't get one from NAPA however. $100 bucks at the stealer.
Could buy it, mic all the specifications and attempt to find another?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
what kind of noise is it making?

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Mine was squeaking with the pedal out and then final made some wierd scraping noise when I pushed it in. Know it barely shifts and has to be pulled apart again.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
My TOB started making a high-pitched whine / squeak with about 800 miles on the odo, though its not terribly loud or noticeable. I'm approaching 9k miles and it hasn't gotten any worse during that time.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So what did you find out? I'm about to place my order for this exact part.

Is this the one?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=219793
:beer:

Thats the one. I replaced it along with the pilot bearing. Worked good but only put about 4 k on it before trading it in so i cant speak to its longevity.

What kinda miles are you guys experiencing problems with your TO bearing? I'm at almost 40k and not a squeak out of mine. When it did squeak it was from dusty/muddy conditions, literally hosed out the inside of the bell-housing and it went away.
My firat one started making noise around 12 k. Second one started around 35k. Mud wasnt overly packed in the bell housing either. It was clearly a bad bearing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts