JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a ton of work done to my '11 JK this week (bumper, flat fenders, gears, tires, tire carrier, JKU springs, leveling kit spacers, etc), and I have a question about the spare.

I currently am running the stock spare/carrier. I have one of those relocation brackets that bolts onto the stock carrier, and allows you to run up to a 35" tire. The wheels I am getting are 16" with 4.5" backspacing. I am also getting the new Teraflex spare bracket (just the piece that bolts to the hinge - not the actual part that bolts to the wheel).

Question is this - will the stock rubber bumpers that hold the stock wheel/tire in place work with the new setup, or do I need to replace those? The tires are 315-75/R16s. I am just trying to anticipate if I need to do anything to that to make the tire not rattle or flex.

Thanks for your advice. Saturday can't come soon enough!

·
Registered
799 Posts
:) The stock bumperstops usually don't work-

You should get some Daystar universal bumpstops-usually around $16 bucks a pair and you cut-to-fit--except-

Carrying a 35" tire on the tailgate is just a bad idea, should getta "swingaway" tire carrier-

Do you have an auto/stick and what gears are you getting, or isit to late?

:koolaid: JIMBO

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback - will get some of those on order today.

I'm going to be running the new Teraflex "bracket" that reinforces the tailgate (the $499 one). I didn't want the weight from the swing away carrier and heavier bumper.

Here is the build -

'11 JK Sport
6-spd
Current gears - 3.21
Current tires - 29's (stock tires - I think they are 29s...)
Springs - 14/54s

By Saturday
4.88 gears (daily driver - 15 mile commute one way on highway each day, so didn't go lower)
Auburn LSD in the rear; front open
315/75-R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers (34.75" OD, roughly)
Bushwacker flat flares
JKUR Springs - 18/59s
JKUR Shocks
3/4" Daystar spacer lift
Besttop stubby bumper
Teraflex tire carrier (mentioned above)

I opted to not sleeve or reinforce the C's at this time. I like to low center of gravity, and don't plan to do 37's, hence why I opted for the 4.88 gears. May throw a winch on the bumper at some point in time, but I think for now, I'll just stop here...

·
Registered
799 Posts
:) Bingo-sounds good-

Thanks for the feedback - will get some of those on order today.

I'm going to be running the new Teraflex "bracket" that reinforces the tailgate (the $499 one). I didn't want the weight from the swing away carrier and heavier bumper.

Here is the build -

'11 JK Sport
6-spd
Current gears - 3.21
Current tires - 29's (stock tires - I think they are 29s...)
Springs - 14/54s

By Saturday
4.88 gears (daily driver - 15 mile commute one way on highway each day, so didn't go lower)
Auburn LSD in the rear; front open
315/75-R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers (34.75" OD, roughly)
Bushwacker flat flares
JKUR Springs - 18/59s
JKUR Shocks
3/4" Daystar spacer lift
Besttop stubby bumper
Teraflex tire carrier (mentioned above)

I opted to not sleeve or reinforce the C's at this time. I like to low center of gravity, and don't plan to do 37's, hence why I opted for the 4.88 gears. May throw a winch on the bumper at some point in time, but I think for now, I'll just stop here...
:koolaid:--JIMBO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts