JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so eventually, I will be putting 33s, or maybe 35s, but most likely 33s on the Jeep when the 32s wear out...which will be a while, so I have time, but what would be the drawbacks to leaving the 32 out back as a spare, and just getting 4 new tires, esp. if I go with 33s and not 35s...I see a ton of Jeeps around here like that, but none on the board for the most part...I do go and wheel my Jeep, so why should I not do this to save money? Is it unusable if I need it, on road or off? Thanks.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Within reason on the spare being close to the actual tires and you use the spare as an emergency use only, you should be ok. After all how many people run those donut tires. :shaking:

If you have a locked axle, I would recommend against it. If it is selectable then ok in a pinch.

Again I would not run the spare for any more longer than required to get your JK immediately to a tire shop to get all 4 tires back to the same size.

Now if you have 35-37 inch tires and a 32" spare, well, again go directly to the tire shop, do not pass go and don't drive very fast. :laughing:

Umm, I don't have a spare on at this time as I am running the stock tires and the 37's are in the garage. I have a stock size spare but need to remodify my spare tire carrier to mount the stock offset. And I'm too lazy as summer is coming and the 37's will go back on. I'm a slacker. :shaking:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Within reason on the spare being close to the actual tires and you use the spare as an emergency use only, you should be ok. After all how many people run those donut tires. :shaking:

If you have a locked axle, I would recommend against it. If it is selectable then ok in a pinch.

Again I would not run the spare for any more longer than required to get your JK immediately to a tire shop to get all 4 tires back to the same size.

Now if you have 35-37 inch tires and a 32" spare, well, again go directly to the tire shop, do not pass go and don't drive very fast. :laughing:

Umm, I don't have a spare on at this time as I am running the stock tires and the 37's are in the garage. I have a stock size spare but need to remodify my spare tire carrier to mount the stock offset. And I'm too lazy as summer is coming and the 37's will go back on. I'm a slacker. :shaking:
LOL, I am a slacker too...However, my concern here is financially driven. I would only use it to get to a tire shop or off a trail and to a tire shop, and I wouldn't drive crazy while it was on there...:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Why not get a full size spare and work it into your tire rotation. That way you get more use out of your $$$$$$$

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Why not get a full size spare and work it into your tire rotation. That way you get more use out of your $$$$$$$
This is a good idea. Plus the fact that if you go up to 35's (and possibly with 33's), you will likely have the ESP/ BAS activating if you use the factory spare tire size. Also, there are some off-road events, venues/ ORV parks that require you to have a full size spare. I would definitely upgrade the spare if you are going to 35's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts