JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
ok I dont have an adapter but I do have a 35" tire on the gate for 23k miles with no issues. Several off road trips that are pretty bouncy and nothing, broke, bent or pulling away. Just wait, several will post up with the same results. I got a friend with a 37 (he is on here) on the gate

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I ran a 35 of my stock door carrier. After one, yes I said ONE, trip on the trail i hit the tire coming off a ledge and bent/creased the rear door.

DO NOT RUN 35s ON THE DOOR! I had less than 1000 miles on my rig and the rear door now has two nice long creases in it and it doesn't shut properly. If you plan to off-road on nastry trails you must remove the tire from the door.
the thread is about weight issues, not hanging it up on a rock ledge...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I think it pretty relevant and worth mentioning that a real tire carrier is more functional than mounting it on the door with an adapter.
I dont think anyone doubts that. In a perfect world we all would have a rear bumper w/ swing away tire carrier but in a perfect world you wouldnt have to wait 4 weeks to get it and it cost $1k. LOL. Lord knows I want a swing away but I refuse to pay that kind of money for one yet.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
ok so I am stepping a bit outside of my normal box of thinking here but could the various reactions to a 35" tire on the tailgate not be so much of a random "some have no issues, others do" but more of a set up issue. Like certain rims weigh more than others due to design or material, some people have 15" rims, some 16" some 17" and that could affect overall weight having more or less metal/rubber. Most 35" tires really measure between 34.25" and 35.75" so that could throw off weight as well and the width of the tire could too....

Just pondering on this, any thoughts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.