JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used one with a 35" Tire? I know Warrior makes one, and Expedition One, any others?

I'm going back to a tailgate mounted spare, and I want to know if there have been any issues with the added weight. Looking for actual users feedback.

Thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
Smittybilt also just came out with one made out of 1/4 steel however, I would not recommed anything over a 33 on the stock tailgate. 35's are really pushing it.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
ok I dont have an adapter but I do have a 35" tire on the gate for 23k miles with no issues. Several off road trips that are pretty bouncy and nothing, broke, bent or pulling away. Just wait, several will post up with the same results. I got a friend with a 37 (he is on here) on the gate

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not to tell you wrong or anything but check the hinges for sagging. I have heard several people run the 35 for a while and they got sagging after 6 months or so.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
ok I dont have an adapter but I do have a 35" tire on the gate for 23k miles with no issues. Several off road trips that are pretty bouncy and nothing, broke, bent or pulling away. Just wait, several will post up with the same results. I got a friend with a 37 (he is on here) on the gate
Yeah, I'm that guy. I have the Warrior bracket and haven't had any issues at all. Eventually I will have a bumper with a tire carrier, but for now it works fine.

Here's something to ponder though. Make sure your tire is not resting on or too close to the rear bumper. Remember the tire is attached to the body and the bumper is attached to the frame. When flexing, if your tire is too close too your bumper, it will make contact. This will cause unwanted force to be applied to the tire.

A

·
0 Posts
I made an adapter and ran it with a 37” spare for a couple of 1000 road miles and 5 trails. Mine held up ok but it started to rattle and the door hinges started to not like it.

I’d only put a 35” plus spare on the stock carrier as a very temporary solution if I were you.

I put a real tire carrier on, on Saturday but due to aslight problem with a wheel falling off, don’t need it right now :D:D

·
Registered
173 Posts
I ran a 35 of my stock door carrier. After one, yes I said ONE, trip on the trail i hit the tire coming off a ledge and bent/creased the rear door.

DO NOT RUN 35s ON THE DOOR! I had less than 1000 miles on my rig and the rear door now has two nice long creases in it and it doesn't shut properly. If you plan to off-road on nastry trails you must remove the tire from the door.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I ran a 35 of my stock door carrier. After one, yes I said ONE, trip on the trail i hit the tire coming off a ledge and bent/creased the rear door.

DO NOT RUN 35s ON THE DOOR! I had less than 1000 miles on my rig and the rear door now has two nice long creases in it and it doesn't shut properly. If you plan to off-road on nastry trails you must remove the tire from the door.
the thread is about weight issues, not hanging it up on a rock ledge...

A

·
0 Posts
the thread is about weight issues, not hanging it up on a rock ledge...
I think it pretty relevant and worth mentioning that a real tire carrier is more functional than mounting it on the door with an adapter.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I think it pretty relevant and worth mentioning that a real tire carrier is more functional than mounting it on the door with an adapter.
I dont think anyone doubts that. In a perfect world we all would have a rear bumper w/ swing away tire carrier but in a perfect world you wouldnt have to wait 4 weeks to get it and it cost $1k. LOL. Lord knows I want a swing away but I refuse to pay that kind of money for one yet.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I dont think anyone doubts that. In a perfect world we all would have a rear bumper w/ swing away tire carrier but in a perfect world you wouldnt have to wait 4 weeks to get it and it cost $1k. LOL. Lord knows I want a swing away but I refuse to pay that kind of money for one yet.
4 weeks? That's it? I've been waiting for my Shrockworks rear bumper since 1/21/08!! :pissed: I'm going to build my own tire carrier.

I know the thread isn't about the rear door setups. But I was just trying to point out the problems with this set up because I just ruined a brand new door. I wanted to other people to think about that before they got in my situation.

'veI read a ton of threads across the forums that point to an idea that it's "ok, but not ideal" to hang your 35" rear tire on the tailgate. I doubt the long term viability of doing this both from a fatigue standpoint. And in my recent experience I've found it's a pretty dumb place to have it while taking the rig offroad.

·
Registered
541 Posts
We ran the first Warrior spacer on the black 07 JK with a 35x12.50x17 Xterrain and a 17x9 procomp alloy wheel for about 14,000 miles without any issues, with a tailgate cover.

But at the same time, we've had people put them on without tailgate covers and split their tailgate at the seams within a week. Which is why Warrior now recommends using the tailgate cover with it, to help re-inforce. The Wrangler body panel construction just ain't what it used to be.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I cut the third brake light off the bracket, trimmed the rubber stops about 1" shorter, and mounted my spare 37. I did this 9 months ago and have wheeled numerous times and have not had any problems (sagging or squeaks). I do have a 1" body lift and the bumper is in the factory location. The tire tucks much closer to the body than stock and its weight is also partially supported by the bumper. I feel with the weight of my 37" tire the only reasons I have not experiences any issues is because the tire has less leverage (closer to the body) and experiences no excess vibration (partially resting on bumper).

·
Registered
173 Posts
wow, lol, thats insane. Sounds like they take longer than Jeep does to make things.
Hahaha! That's a good point. :D

It took me four months to get my Rubi after I ordered it. I'm at 3 months on my rear bumper. It might end up taking more time than the complete manufacture of my JK. :shaking:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
ok so I am stepping a bit outside of my normal box of thinking here but could the various reactions to a 35" tire on the tailgate not be so much of a random "some have no issues, others do" but more of a set up issue. Like certain rims weigh more than others due to design or material, some people have 15" rims, some 16" some 17" and that could affect overall weight having more or less metal/rubber. Most 35" tires really measure between 34.25" and 35.75" so that could throw off weight as well and the width of the tire could too....

Just pondering on this, any thoughts?

·
Registered
173 Posts
When I had my tire on there it was resting against the top of the bumper. It actually seemed fairly secure. But that doesn't do anything about hitting it on a ledge. The weight of the Jeep coming down and the tire and transferring that force into the tailgate is unavoidable. The tire must be raised higher if you're going to wheel it.

So I was was thinking about another design that could avoid the rear tire carrier.........

You mount the tire on the stock door carrier, but use an offset plate to raise the height of the tire. Then, to deal with the problem of it fatiguing the door you build into the bumper a small compression jack thingy that would put slight upward force on the bottom of the tire to prevent it from moving up/down, thus elminating movement. I'm talking about something analygous to a spreader clamp that you could push tight or release like a latch. That would allow you to pop it open to release pressure and then just open the door normally.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've not had good luck with my tire carrier, and the stock setup was silent, and simple to get in and out of the back. That's why I was wondering about the adapter, that raises the tire and spaces it out a bit. No doubt the sheetmetal on these Jeeps is paper thin, I would consider a tailgate cover but I don't like the looks, and definately don't want to be drilling holes in the sheetmetal, it's so thin any rust taking hold would trash the panel.
What would be nice is an aftermarket rear door, a beefy one, with an integrated higher mount carrier for larger tires. That should be quiet, only one door to open for access like stock, and make bumper designs easier and more varied. But I'm sure that would be too costly to produce, so we have what we have.

I'll probably get the adapter, and take the tire off for wheeling.

A

·
0 Posts
I was worrying about mine too much in Moab so as soon as I got back I ordered a bumper with a carrier. Not sure about this whole 4 week/month wait thing though, I got mine in 4 days.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Now that I think about it........

My door is already shot, so I might as well do some experimentation. Maybe I'll chop it up and put a big plate of steel across it and try to brace it that way.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts