JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with a large spare tire. What Bike rack do you recommend?

I have a 35/12.5R18 on the back of my Jeep.

Thanks,

Luke

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have the Allen 640RR bike rack. It clears the spare tire and works well. The only problem with it is that the drop-down part that is designed to clear a tailgate hinges up too high and doesn't allow room to open the tailgate.

It comes with an anti-rattle bolt so that it doesn't rattle around in the hitch. It is very quiet and sturdy and holds 4 bikes. I use it for 2 mountain bikes with no trouble.

I don't have any pictures up on the web now, since I originally posted them to the "other" site.

Bryan.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have the Thule Spare Me and the adaptor for skis/snowboards. Loved it on my stock 32's, but wouldnt work with my 33's and def not with my 35's. I do think it can be modified pretty easily to work though. And its the best thing available IMHO. It is much better mounting to the tire rack than the hitch, so you can still swing out your gate with your bike, snowboard, skis mounted. I happen to be willing to sell mine if anybody is interested...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I use a Yakima hitch rack with an 8" hitch extension. I chose this so I would not have to worry about changing tire sizes.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have the Allen rack also, but I can't swing open the tire carrier when it's on. I'll probably be selling it soon.

Here's a rack that I may buy. You can order a backing plate that will fit oversized spare tires. They have instructions for ordering the correct plate...

http://www.bikerackshops.com/SG64920.html

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I use a Yakima hitch rack with an 8" hitch extension. I chose this so I would not have to worry about changing tire sizes.
I use simmilar 8" extension but use a softride hitch mounted rack, carries 4-5 bikes. You can get the hitch extension from Harbor Freight for like $13.
Clam

·
Registered
688 Posts
I use a hitch mount bike rack it's a little wobbly but much stronger than a spare tire mounted rack. that's a lot of leverage on the tailgate unless of course you have a swing out tire rack already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts