JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just locked the keys in our JK, so the tow company is coming, hard top on of course. Whats the deal with making a spare key, $200 at the Stealership? or can I get a basic key without all the electronics for an emergency?

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
There is a thread on a less expensive replacement-on the phone and can't really earch well to find the thread-might be in the write-up but I don't remember off hand.

Is this thing on?.....

·
Registered
197 Posts
My Gf just did this too. I need a new key for her liberty........

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
A basic non-Sentry key will open the doors in emergencies, absolutely, and get your locked-in keys in your hands. To start the Jeep, you'll need a Sentry key that's been programmed. You can do this yourself with a $25 eBay key and two of your original keys and the procedure is in the manual. If you only have one key, you may have to pony up at the dealership.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Instead of getting just a basic non-chipped key, spend the extra scratch and get the chipped one too. You'll be glad you did if you loose one of your keys. Two chipped keys are REQUIRED to program a new key in your driveway. Otherwise it's going to cost you a few hundred at the dealer. Keep the non-chipped key with the Jeep for the "locked out" situations and the chipped one at home for the "lost a key" times.

Blank transponder keys without the buttons are around $20 online
Blank transponder keys with the lock/unlock are from $50 to $100 online.

Hell, this place sells both for under $60 although I've never bought anything from them.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Instead of getting just a basic non-chipped key, spend the extra 20 or 25 bucks and get the chipped one too. You'll be glad you did if you loose one of your keys. Two chipped keys are REQUIRED to program a new key in your driveway. Otherwise it's going to cost you a couple hundred at the dealer. Keep the non-chipped key with the Jeep for the "locked out" situations and the chipped one at home for the "lost a key" times.
Yep, what he said...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Okay. So she has one original key and that's it. I would like to make another chipped key with buttons now. How do I do this if I only have 1 original key?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I locked my keys in my Jeep before I got a slug to put on the frame... had AMA come out... he looked at my Jeep and warned me that one of the other guys tried to get in another jeep and they ended up bending the door up by the window frame... I told him to go away and I called Chrysler dealership and they brought me out a slug. $5 dollars delivered.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I locked my keys in my Jeep before I got a slug to put on the frame... had AMA come out... he looked at my Jeep and warned me that one of the other guys tried to get in another jeep and they ended up bending the door up by the window frame... I told him to go away and I called Chrysler dealership and they brought me out a slug. $5 dollars delivered.
sorry, whats a slug? :cwm13:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Check with your local AAA office if you are a member. Some clubs have plastic keys that they cut for free which will open the door. They will not start the Jeep, but at least you can get in if you have locked your keys in.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
sorry, whats a slug? :cwm13:
It's a key that is cut that you can't start the vehicle with... It will start for about 5 seconds, it's only used to lock or unlock the doors.

·
Registered
21 Posts
All Wranglers (even the most basic) since 2007 use a transponder chip ignition key. This prevents the engine from running for more than a few seconds if a non-chip key is used.

Transponder chip keys are very expensive at auto dealers. Usually $75 or more for each key at most dealers.

Inexpensive blank, non-cut, transponder chip keys can be ordered at many places and you can easily, self-program them with directions in your owner's manual. You must have two working chip keys to program additional keys. You will need to have the blank key cut at your local hardware store or locksmith. Usually this costs just a couple of dollars.

Just google: "jeep transponder chip ignition key" and you will get lots or results.

If you don't have an owner's manual, you can download them here for free:

My Jeep: Jeep Owners Service Manuals - 4x4 SUVs, Sports Utility Vehicles, Off Road

Here is a good place to get inexpensive transponder keys:

Jeep Transponder Chip Ignition Keys

Mabar

·
Registered
305 Posts
This is good information, the only thing I would suggest is go to a locksmith instead of the hardware store. If the brand new special ordered key gets messed up by the key cutter a locksmith is going to be able to help you out, Ace hardware won't have the replacement blank you need.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.