JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my fan finally decided to go out. Too many water dunks and it finally decided to get revenge.

Ordered my SPAL fan and shroud from Tellico 4x4 for $268.00 shipped.

My Jeep is sitting at the dealer right now as I am attempting to get the factory fan replaced under warranty. Well, the dealer says that they have not been able to reproduce the problem. Just my luck and the crappy thing works for the dealer.

I guess me having to stop 5 times on the way into town today and hit it with a hammer to get it to work doesn't matter. I eventually just said heck with it and called and had it towed.

I told the dealer to do whatever he has to as I really HATE dealing with them. I didn't tell him that I am putting on a SPAL as soon as it comes in. Heck, I bet the SPAL will be here before the dealer figures out that the fan motor is shot.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I found that the mud around here likes to get into the plug right at the motor, and short out the connectors...
Trying to contact tellico 4x4 now for one.

Updated the other thread with the code, but it is TW-MOAB5.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mines still been workin just fine after 1 good hit with an 8" drop trailer hitch:laughing:. Remind me to check that new fan out next time we go out trail riding....not mudding lol

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mines still been workin just fine after 1 good hit with an 8" drop trailer hitch:laughing:. Remind me to check that new fan out next time we go out trail riding....not mudding lol
Yes, trail riding....trails only...LOL.

Mine required numerous hits today to get it to keep working. I just hope I dind't "fix" it by smacking it today as then the dealer is going to give me a hard time about the tow.

BTW...Tellico was very slow today on answering the phone.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Edit Bump:

Med & zjr,

So I've been following this whole Spal project and its got me wondering....if I was to choose between it or a snorkel kit, which do you two think the $$$ would be better spent on?

My logic side says the Spal, however the little kid who wants to chop on the hood says a snorkel....:laughing:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
This is my 3rd fan. 1st spal. I say snorkel first with a switch on the fan, then switch to a spal. HOWEVER, I really suggest both NOW! :D

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
snorkel would be better. i think jeeps die quicker when water enters airbox than when fan dies and jeep overheats.

im on my second factory fan. will upgrade to spal when this one bites the muddy bullet. :laughing:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I was kinda forced to buy it now...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get the fan first a blown stock fan ends wheeling for the day (or longer) you can always be careful about water in airbox.

The stock fan does not have to be in water to go out. Mine went out on a dry trail and had not been submerged for a month or more.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Well I'm sitting here on a certain vendor's page contemplating how bad I want to piss my GF off by pressing this tiny little button that says "add to cart"....:laughing:
You can spray something into the motor and kill it if you really want... The spal and shroud are only $20 more than factory parts...
:beer:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
You can spray something into the motor and kill it if you really want... The spal and shroud are only $20 more than factory parts...
:beer:
Its just easier to throw a hammer into it....:laughing:

I think I'm going to go ahead and order the SPAL kit and bring it with me on the trip, if the OEM croaks then I'm still good to go, if it doesn't, then I'll swap it out when I get back home. I'll use the old one for a upgraded Beer Cooler A/C.....:laughing2:

Edit:

Your Order Has Been Processed!

Your order has been successfully processed! Standard delivery time is within 5-7 working days. You will receive status updates via e-mail as your order is processed.

Maybe I'll have it here in time....

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Just got mine too! Really easy. Splice into factory motor black to ground red to not ground.
15 minutes or less, DO IT!
Mine will go on in the am.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I was toying around with my OEM fan and I think I am going to go pick up some more 12 wire and fashion me up a "ceiling" fan for the Canopy using the old fan.....:laughing: I already have a variable voltage power supply to wire it into that can be plugged into either the generator or the inverter....

Now if only we had running water in camp....I would totally have a misting set-up to stay nice and cool while in camp

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Go out in front of your jeep, and place your hand in front of the radiator. With the Spal, I can feel air being pulled through at the slots in the grill, not even all the way back.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts