JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have read all 12 pages on this and i cant find the answer i want . i know the sound does not put out full range because its a piece of crap , but what is keeping the speakers from doing that , most of the post say its the amp but i dont have the amp and mine does it , so is it the head unit or the wire harness or something somewhere in the wiring going to the rear speakers . the reason i ask is i am going to get a hu this weekend and i dont want to spend the money and the rear still sound the same.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If it were me, I would ditch the rear speakers and put better speakers in the front. The fronts seem to do 90% of the work anyways.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you run all new wires to the rear speakers from your new HU you will be good to go. If you just use an adapter and plug into the factory CANBUS then the soundbar speakers will still sound like crap even with the new HU ..

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you have the Infinity system you can replace the stock amp with a Dodge Nitro amp (sorry don't have the part #) and the soundbar speakers will be at the same level as the front speakers. I bought my Nitro amp online for about $150. I think you have to run new wiring with the non-Infinity.

Once the levels are equalized there will probably be some buzzing and popping from the soundbar. You can replace the speakers, but that won't solve the problem. Buy a bag of polyfill from Wal Mart for $2.00 and stuff the soundbar with it. I think I used about 1/2 bag. It clears the buzzing right up.

On my "old" JK I replaced all 4 speakers with Polk DB651S from Crutchfield at a cost of $150 for all 4. It made a nice difference, but I ended up going back and stuffing the soundbar and front boxes with polyfill. On my "new" JK, thanks to Malo CS, I kept the stock speakers and covered the outside of the front boxes with 2 layers of dynamat and stuffed the soundbar with polyfill. It made a great difference. Both were using the same Nitro amp and REN Mygig head unit (swapped them in the dealer's lot) and the difference is with the stock speakers/dynamat I need 1 to 2 more clicks of volume for the same sound.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you run all new wires to the rear speakers from your new HU you will be good to go. If you just use an adapter and plug into the factory CANBUS then the soundbar speakers will still sound like crap even with the new HU ..
so the sound damping is coming from the CANBUS and not the hu

·
Registered
47 Posts
everyone I've talked to about it says its the HU. Changing the HU is the only way to get rid of the decrease. *shrug* who knows

·
Registered
686 Posts
If it was coming from the Head Unit ... then why does a Head Unit out of another Chrysler vehicle still muffle the Sound Bar speakers ?? Chrysler does not have special HU's built just for Wranglers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If it was coming from the Head Unit ... then why does a Head Unit out of another Chrysler vehicle still muffle the Sound Bar speakers ?? Chrysler does not have special HU's built just for Wranglers.
I'm mostly familiar with the Infinity system, whcich uses a seperate amplifier. With this setup the head unit outputs a digital signal onto the CANBUS which is then converted to analog and output by the amplifier. Changing amps has a definite effect on the soundbar.

With the non-Infinity system I believe the head unit is outputting analog signals directly to the speakers through its own amplifier, but I'm not completely sure about that. It's still plugged into the CANBUS and the computer probably tells the head unit to muffle the rear speakers.

I'm sure that the vehicle communicates with the head unit. I bought a REN MyGig from a Chrysler on ebay and put it in my JK. On first power up the Chrysler logo came up. Later power ups the Jeep logo comes up.

I hope this helps. I know I read about how the non-Infinity works somewhere. I'll try to find it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
On the basic system i think your right, the Head unit provides power to the speakers directly, but since the HU is in the wrangler and attached to the wrangler Cannbus system, it tells the HU to put out less power. That's my theory at least.

I just put the fader more to the rear and it sounds more balanced. i have a soft top and the sound is still pretty good at higher levels while on the highway.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I talked to a bunch of audio guy's in my area they all said the same thing!
That the stock headunits are indeed restricting signal to the rear speakers
I promptly replaced the pos stock deck with an aftermarket one and have not touched the stock surrounds! they sound great!

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just put in a new deck this weekend , it is coming from the hu , and i must say what a difference it makes , louder and cleaner sound

·
Registered
311 Posts
just put in a new deck this weekend , it is coming from the hu , and i must say what a difference it makes , louder and cleaner sound
Totally!
high/low pass filters really take it to another level too!
my system is sooo loud and clean i cant believe it was that easy:smokin:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just wondering a couple of things. I'm thinking about upgrading the HU also.

Do you have the Infinity system?
Did you use a harness to connect the new HU to the CAN bus?
How are your speakers wired?

I'm thinking that with the Infinity system the best way to do it is to wire the speakers directly to an aftermarket HU and remove the amp. Does this make sense? Would you lose turn signal and chime sounds by not connecting to the bus?

Still trying to noodle all this through.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just wondering a couple of things. I'm thinking about upgrading the HU also.

Do you have the Infinity system?
Did you use a harness to connect the new HU to the CAN bus?
How are your speakers wired?

I'm thinking that with the Infinity system the best way to do it is to wire the speakers directly to an aftermarket HU and remove the amp. Does this make sense? Would you lose turn signal and chime sounds by not connecting to the bus?

Still trying to noodle all this through.
I bought my deck through crutchfield,
and the wiring kit that came with it, once spliced into the deck's harness was plug and play!
and by splice i mean the pigtail coming off the back of the deck ties into the harness provided then that harness plugs directly into the old plug for the stock stereo canbus no cutting/splicing stock Jeep wires

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Do you know if all the other functions would work such as; nav, bluetooth, dvd, rear camera,etc...or is that all dependant on the head unit you get? I also have an allgig on mine I wonder if it would work or even be necessary with a new head unit. Any thoughts.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Do you know if all the other functions would work such as; nav, bluetooth, dvd, rear camera,etc...or is that all dependant on the head unit you get? I also have an allgig on mine I wonder if it would work or even be necessary with a new head unit. Any thoughts.
:confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts