1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm Muslim, and I've never had the desire to blow anything up. I think some of these guys in the Mid East are brought up in a culture of hate and they use religion as an excuse, or just take the most extremist view they can for their particular agenda. Looking at that situation right now, Hamas and Fatah are killing each other. These guys would find an excuse for violence, no matter what religion they were.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I'm Muslim, and I've never had the desire to blow anything up. I think some of these guys in the Mid East are brought up in a culture of hate and they use religion as an excuse, or just take the most extremist view they can for their particular agenda. Looking at that situation right now, Hamas and Fatah are killing each other. These guys would find an excuse for violence, no matter what religion they were.
Good point. The key is to somehow keep these bad people from controlling the education system and teaching Hate.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that's why I like this guy's story. He indicates that the problem is Islam and what it as a religion teaches. But, he separates the people from the religion and points out that most muslims are ignorant of their religion -- they only know what their religious leaders tell them or the interpretation that they are given.

Obviously, this is one guy's testimony, but he is highly educated in both religions and he comes off as being credible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think that's why I like this guy's story. He indicates that the problem is Islam and what it as a religion teaches. But, he separates the people from the religion and points out that most muslims are ignorant of their religion -- they only know what their religious leaders tell them or the interpretation that they are given.

Obviously, this is one guy's testimony, but he is highly educated in both religions and he comes off as being credible.

I have a problem with religious leaders in general, and the so called Muslim leaders of today are some of the most despicable people on the planet. Obviously, he will be critical of Islam, because he has converted to Christianity, just as Christian converts to Islam are critical of Christianity. I respect his views, and if this makes him a better person, so be it. I suspect he was disgusted by the Hamas culture in general and what it represents, and this is a way for him to distance himself.

I don't believe in exclusivity... but that's just me, I'm pretty liberal for a Muslim I guess.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a problem with religious leaders in general, and the so called Muslim leaders of today are some of the most despicable people on the planet. Obviously, he will be critical of Islam, because he has converted to Christianity, just as Christian converts to Islam are critical of Christianity. I respect his views, and if this makes him a better person, so be it. I suspect he was disgusted by the Hamas culture in general and what it represents, and this is a way for him to distance himself.

I don't believe in exclusivity... but that's just me, I'm pretty liberal for a Muslim I guess.
I agree that converting back and forth will color the view. But, this story goes beyond that. I don't think I've ever heard someone put it so succintly. And for the record I am Christian and I have a problem with most of our religious leaders too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts