JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to wonder just what was going on at Chrysler when they decided on the jack that they put in the JK. What a piece of junk.

I decided yesterday to rotate the tires on the Jeep, why pay someone else to do it when I could do it myself, right? Right, sure I can, IF I CAN GET THE THING JACKED UP OFF THE GROUND :pissed:

With that crappy little scissor jack? Only in your dreams. I know, I tried.

Now don't get me wrong, I've known that I would need to get a Highlift jack for use on the trail, but I figured that with 265/75R16s and NO LIFT I should be able to at least change the tire on the side of the road if need be, or rotate the tires even.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I used it to install my 32s and had room left to spare. It's not the greatest jack in the world (by any stretch of the imagination) but it should work for those tires. :confused: Where did you have it located? It's suppossed to go under the axles.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
mine worked ok
not the best jack in the world, but should be adequate
if you put it under the axle you should reach just fine. :confused:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Pretty much all jacks that come with a car is worthless, its not just a Chrysler thing. But like the others said, it should be adequate for having no lift with those tires.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I broke mine (dont ask how?) And im looking for some better quality than OEM. I guess they dont put as much effort on the support equipment. For a jeep i think it should have a recovery package included. It makes sense when you build a vehicle for extreme off roading or even moderate off roading. All i got is this for them:thefinger:

·
Registered
41 Posts
The bottle jack that came with my '01 Dodge truck was actually a long-travel jack. It went up two or three times the height of the bottle itself. I should have kept that jack. It was very compact. I wonder if a junk yard would have one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My son change the rear tire without any problem. 255/85/16 33's. I did by a Hi-Lift jack base.

to help when Off-road. I won't be buying a Hi-Lift Jack for my jeep. To heavy and to un-safe in my book.
I will get a ARB X-Jack, some day.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Placing it under the axle is something that I never thought of. My experience with scissor jacks has always been to place them at specific points under the pinch seam. I'll have to give that a try this weekend.

onlysuper: I agree totally, mine didn't even come with tow hooks, had to buy the front ones, and jerry-rig something for the rear.

mizedog: I used to have one of those bottle jacks too, time was you could pick them up at the auto parts store. Wish I still had mine.

·
Registered
900 Posts
:D
Placing it under the axle is something that I never thought of. My experience with scissor jacks has always been to place them at specific points under the pinch seam. I'll have to give that a try this weekend.

onlysuper: I agree totally, mine didn't even come with tow hooks, had to buy the front ones, and jerry-rig something for the rear.

mizedog: I used to have one of those bottle jacks too, time was you could pick them up at the auto parts store. Wish I still had mine.
With the slot cut in the top of the jack, you would think that it's intended for the pinch seam..............I know I did. But not wanting to F_ _ _ up the paint I looked for other options. That and my wife suggested that I RTFM! What do you know, put it under the axle like the book said. So.............RTFM dude. :D

·
Registered
397 Posts

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
That ARB jack base is a nice piece, but in no way is it worth $50.00....$20.00 at most.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:D

With the slot cut in the top of the jack, you would think that it's intended for the pinch seam..............I know I did. But not wanting to F_ _ _ up the paint I looked for other options. That and my wife suggested that I RTFM! What do you know, put it under the axle like the book said. So.............RTFM dude. :D
Yeah, yeah, I know :laughing: Just trying to be smarter than the engineers I guess.

Well the tires are now rotated, still going to get a High-lift though. Far too many uses for those things to not have one. I know some feel they're unsafe, but anytime you lift one or more tires off the ground you're in danger :D Of course when you lift two tires off the ground and they're on the same side of the vehicle.........

Well you're either 1. In a situation you should've thought hard about in the first place, 2. Insane, or 3. Having waaaaaaaaay too much fun :D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I believe 2000 tacoma had the bottlejack if you can find in a junk yard or a 98 4-runner. I had both vehicles and they both came with bottle jacks that went pretty high.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine died after a short life. :pissed:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have to wonder just what was going on at Chrysler when they decided on the jack that they put in the JK. What a piece of junk.

I decided yesterday to rotate the tires on the Jeep, why pay someone else to do it when I could do it myself, right? Right, sure I can, IF I CAN GET THE THING JACKED UP OFF THE GROUND :pissed:

With that crappy little scissor jack? Only in your dreams. I know, I tried.

Now don't get me wrong, I've known that I would need to get a Highlift jack for use on the trail, but I figured that with 265/75R16s and NO LIFT I should be able to at least change the tire on the side of the road if need be, or rotate the tires even.
Are you planning on getting an after market bumper? Because stock JK's really don't have any safe place to jack your jeep up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts