JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I am probably gonna catch h*ll for it but ....Someone please explain to me about this huge lack of power everyone claims ???? Is it the guys with the unlimited auto's, or the guys that wish they would have got a diesel dually. Sure I wish it had a Hemi but it is a Jeep. I have owned a 90 with the 4.2 auto stock tires and 33's,(my JK would smoke it) I have owned a 94 with a 4 popper stock tires/33's/then 35's (talk about a dog) JK would have smoked it in reverse..And have driven a few TJ's with 4.0 and They didnt overly impress me when compared to my JK 2 door 6 speed. Now it is a little lacking in the power department with the 35's and 321's but I knew it would be untill I regeared it..I would have loved to trade in the Suburban and bought a new Rubicon Unlimited but I knew it wouldn pull the car trailer near as easy. But like I said it is a JEEP.....Oh maybe the 09's have alot more power then previous years :thefinger: LOL OK I know I am in for it now

·
Registered
303 Posts
I always want more power and less weight, but I'm a freak. I think it is more about how the power is delivered more than it is a lack of power. Rev it up a bit and there is plenty.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I'm with you brother. I went from a '66 Bronco with a high compression 302 and a great low end cam. With 4.10's and 35's I could nose up to a tree, let the clutch out and dig 4 holes. My wife had the same happen to her trying to pull it out of the garage one day, she thought it was out of gear when she hit the starter; it learched backward and started to drive up the back wall. As soon as the rear tires lifed off the ground the fronts gave with a bark and the truck fell back to the floor. It would repeat the cycle until I came out there and told the wife to turn the engine off.:shaking:

The Jeep isn't the power house the Bronco was but I think it's plenty. I never have any problems getting out of the way, or running down the highway. I'm about to switch to 37's and 5.13's, I think it will be fine, and I won't have to worry about twisting the pinion shaft off like I had happen on my Bronco. Power can be overrated even on the trail.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I sold my TJ after driving my dad's 2 door JK and thought it had a ton more power than my TJ. My 4 door wasn't bad either... but on the road with the 4.10s and hilly area we are in it searched for gears like crazy. I think it's really more of a gearing issue when they are stock than anything... even with 4.10s, the tranny is geared to high for the powerband of the 3.8L. I think the rubi's should come stock with 4.56s and people would be much happier.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I don't really feel a lack of power here either, it's a wheeling vehicle to me that also gets me around, and while I'd welcome more power I don't think it is lacking. But then again I drive like Miss Daisy :D

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Well, I agree with this thread. All I have to say is drive a XJ with the 4.0 around with 37's or 35's for a while then get back in your JK. It automatically gives you a boost of about 20 Hp lol :thefinger:

A

·
0 Posts
I don't really feel a lack of power here either, it's a wheeling vehicle to me that also gets me around, and while I'd welcome more power I don't think it is lacking. But then again I drive like Miss Daisy :D
X2. Even when I was running 37s with stock gears I didn’t think it was that bad.

·
Openly Hostile
6,982 Posts
I think a v8 would be nice, but I don't really have any complaints about power. Hell, I am only even doing 4.88 gears now because I plan on getting 37's this summer. The 4.10's and 35's has worked fine for me in a 2 door. :beer:

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have no issues with power; it is what it is… I think the 6 speed makes a difference, you can hustle it thru the gears nicely. I am still running the with the stock 32’s, but will be moving up to 35’s soon, and I am not anticipating this being much of a concern, even with the 4.10’s.

I also live in the flat lands, so I am sure this also makes it easier to deal with. Although, on my trip to Moab last June it seemed to pull the hills fairly decent; I just had to make sure and keep it in the power band.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My two door, 6 speed JK replaced a 5000+ lb Isuzu Trooper with 33's. It had a 215hp 3.5 V6 and 4 speed auto. I never felt it was lacking for power. My JK feels pretty sporty compared to the Trooper! Just wish it had a little more grunt below 2000 RPM.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
For me the power is fine. More would be better but my JK with an auto feels just the same as my TJ with an auto did so I'm used to it. More would be great but I have no prob getting up to speed on the hwy so no complaints here.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Ive beat down some TJ's and a lot of FJ Cruisers and so far they dont even come close. All of them mostly stock.

Compared with my older rides im happy with the power. No complains here.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think the Jeep JK has enough power and no complaints at all about the power in mine.

·
Registered
494 Posts
OK, so they're better than older Jeeps, granted. But the rest of the world is growing up around us. All vehicles have greater power and higher efficiency than their predecessors. We've come to expect it. The only place I need more power is in the mud, the dunes, and on the highway. Thats about 80% of my driving. So yeah, I still think it's underpowered.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts