JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like it says... I really want the softest ride on road I can get. I have a busted back and a squishy Cadillac style ride would be ideal. I am about to get a set of 35s and my JK is a 2 door. So what suspension system yields the softest ride? Oh yeah... a $3k long arm kit isnt in the budget. thanks

·
Registered
630 Posts
stay away from the bilstien shocks. they are not very forgiving.

Poly performances spring rate seems to be a nice ride on the road.

i would stay away from Rough country, Full Traction, and Tuff Country.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Just like it says... I really want the softest ride on road I can get. I have a busted back and a squishy Cadillac style ride would be ideal. I am about to get a set of 35s and my JK is a 2 door. So what suspension system yields the softest ride? Oh yeah... a $3k long arm kit isnt in the budget. thanks
I'd love to know the answer to this one also. The titanium that holds my lower back together doesn't like the Jeep some days. :bawling:

·
Registered
6 Posts
The OME kit I have on mine is considerablly softer than the stock suspension. Although, it did take a couple thousand miles to really soften up. It seemed a little stiff when I first put it on. :bounce:

·
Registered
689 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
I think the stock set up is your best bet.

But....Keep in mind that most aftermarket springs will be very similar in spring rate. shocks will typically make the most difference for you. Get an adjustable shock for sure so you can dial it in. Also, the taller the spring, the higher the spring rate, generally. Keep your lift to a minimum if you want the lower spring rate and slightly better ride.
Lastly, consider a coil over set up. It will provide you will the ultimate in adjustability and super, oooober squishiness. Combine this with a long arm set up, to allow the suspension to move freely and not against itself...and you'll have that Caddy ride you want. Expensive... but well worth it for on road and off road performance.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I think the stock set up is your best bet.

But....Keep in mind that most aftermarket springs will be very similar in spring rate. shocks will typically make the most difference for you. Get an adjustable shock for sure so you can dial it in. Also, the taller the spring, the higher the spring rate, generally. Keep your lift to a minimum if you want the lower spring rate and slightly better ride.
Lastly, consider a coil over set up. It will provide you will the ultimate in adjustability and super, oooober squishiness. Combine this with a long arm set up, to allow the suspension to move freely and not against itself...and you'll have that Caddy ride you want. Expensive... but well worth it for on road and off road performance.
I disagree the rock krawler springs have a better ride than the stock springs on my unlimited. A long arm would be your best bet for a softer ride coupled with adjustable shocks. I have back issues as well and I can drive in mine for a couple of hours without problems with the shock set in the medium range.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I have been looking hard at the OME kit, but thought if something softer existed I would go that route. I have titanium rods in my back like skibum said. Right now I have the 2" superlift (spacers, bumps, and shocks) and it is a little stiffer than I want. I have owned a few diff lifts in the past and skyjacker stuff has been pretty soft, but I have read some bad stuff about them lately.

I forgot to mention that budget is important too. I wish I could afford to get a longarm kit with coilovers but the disability check can't cover it. I had really thought about the OME HD LT kit with adj. track arms. Front lowers and rear uppers. Then later on as budget would allow swap in some long arms. but I dunno. Those Poly progressive rate springs look like they would provide a soft spring rate. I think the Fox shocks are way out of the budget though.

What would be better: Rancho 9000s on a low setting, OME, or something else?

Thanks for all the info everyone.

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
I have ridden in a jeep with the OME and the rancho's will get softer. On 3 the rancho's are very squishy, I run them on 6 and it's still a little softer than stock imo. It's nice to be able to adjust them to meet your needs. All thing being equal, the fox are going to be a better shock, but they are over twice the price.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'd love to know the answer to this one also. The titanium that holds my lower back together doesn't like the Jeep some days. :bawling:
damn everyone is like me..... shatter both my ankles and broke my back. Doc said I would never walk again.

Those that wheel with me watch me take diggers every now and again while walking. SOmething pinches and no matter how much strength I use their is no muscle to keep standing and down I go.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have ridden in a jeep with the OME and the rancho's will get softer. On 3 the rancho's are very squishy, I run them on 6 and it's still a little softer than stock imo. It's nice to be able to adjust them to meet your needs. All thing being equal, the fox are going to be a better shock, but they are over twice the price.
I didn't know the Ranchos were that good. My friend has Rancho 5000s in his TJ and they are a bit harsher than stock for sure. If I get the 9000s I think the in-cabin set up is what I need so I can change it "on the fly". What springs would be a good match? the 4" superlift springs I had on my TJ were WAY thicker and stiffer than the 06 Rubicon springs I replaced them with. Just changing those springs out was night and day diff.

How much lift can you use with a short arm kit before the arms start jacking the blow into the frame? You know from the control arm pointing down instead of parallel.

damn everyone is like me..... shatter both my ankles and broke my back. Doc said I would never walk again.

Those that wheel with me watch me take diggers every now and again while walking. SOmething pinches and no matter how much strength I use their is no muscle to keep standing and down I go.
Man that sucks. Every once in a great while I will get a sharp spasm in my back that knocks me down. Im lucky that it is rare. I am a little unstable now so I trip a bit too.

That is awesome you are able to walk when they thought you wouldn't. What happened? It is inspiring that you are still out there wheeling and doing the things you love despite the pain and difficulty. :beer:

·
Registered
630 Posts
That is awesome you are able to walk when they thought you wouldn't. What happened? It is inspiring that you are still out there wheeling and doing the things you love despite the pain and difficulty. :beer:
not to hijack but...

growing up I have been active. Raced BMX, Road Raced, Bunjee jumped, Dirt bikes, you name it I will try it or enjoy doing it.

I always had a back that hurt from time to time and one day I was out washing the car. I bent over on the drivers side of the care to wash the bottom of the door and it happened. It had been broke for a bit apparently and i moved just right to pinch off the nerves and severed one. My L2 L3 were both broke on the passenger side. It caught nerves and whatever else is in there in the break.
i was on my stomach and could not stand up. I inched closer to the house and my girlfriend heard me and called for help. Had surgery and repaired everything but it was a long year afterwards.
I was on a lot of pain meds (which is a whole nother story in itself) and pushed myself to as far as I could.
If a pain scale is a 1-10 and most people are a 0-1 on a daily basis I am always at a 5. once a week it is a 6-7.
I am legally handicapped for life but dont let it affect me. i still mob at the dunes in my rhino and on my quads, i wheel my jeep and hop across rocks( unny when the ankles give out and I take diggers on the rocks) and I live life like nothing ever happened as best I can. They way I see it anything from here on out is a freebie......
The ankles were an accident before the back in which I was riding a bike on the track. I high sided and and landed feet first on the asphalt shattering both ankles. spent lots of time in a wheelchair. the ankles are just as bad as the back but you learn to live with it.... :D
anyone up for skydiving? Have not done it yet but I want to.

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
well, I have currie springs right now. I am planning on picking up poly's springs tho. The currie springs sit an inch low in the back on a two door and I don't like having to use a spacer to get the level stance I want. I am planning on getting them next month so if you are not in a hurry I will be able to give you a good report on poly springs and the rancho 9000XL's. :beer:

·
Registered
453 Posts
The Curries over-compensate for the stinkbug stance on a 4 door too.

·
Registered
900 Posts

We should start a club or something. :D

·
Registered
900 Posts
I didn't know the Ranchos were that good. My friend has Rancho 5000s in his TJ and they are a bit harsher than stock for sure. If I get the 9000s I think the in-cabin set up is what I need so I can change it "on the fly". What springs would be a good match? the 4" superlift springs I had on my TJ were WAY thicker and stiffer than the 06 Rubicon springs I replaced them with. Just changing those springs out was night and day diff.

How much lift can you use with a short arm kit before the arms start jacking the blow into the frame? You know from the control arm pointing down instead of parallel.

Man that sucks. Every once in a great while I will get a sharp spasm in my back that knocks me down. Im lucky that it is rare. I am a little unstable now so I trip a bit too.

not to hijack but...

growing up I have been active. Raced BMX, Road Raced, Bunjee jumped, Dirt bikes, you name it I will try it or enjoy doing it.

I always had a back that hurt from time to time and one day I was out washing the car. I bent over on the drivers side of the care to wash the bottom of the door and it happened. It had been broke for a bit apparently and i moved just right to pinch off the nerves and severed one. My L2 L3 were both broke on the passenger side. It caught nerves and whatever else is in there in the break.
i was on my stomach and could not stand up. I inched closer to the house and my girlfriend heard me and called for help. Had surgery and repaired everything but it was a long year afterwards.
I was on a lot of pain meds (which is a whole nother story in itself) and pushed myself to as far as I could.
If a pain scale is a 1-10 and most people are a 0-1 on a daily basis I am always at a 5. once a week it is a 6-7.
I am legally handicapped for life but dont let it affect me. i still mob at the dunes in my rhino and on my quads, i wheel my jeep and hop across rocks( unny when the ankles give out and I take diggers on the rocks) and I live life like nothing ever happened as best I can. They way I see it anything from here on out is a freebie......
The ankles were an accident before the back in which I was riding a bike on the track. I high sided and and landed feet first on the asphalt shattering both ankles. spent lots of time in a wheelchair. the ankles are just as bad as the back but you learn to live with it.... :D
anyone up for skydiving? Have not done it yet but I want to.
I wonder if there's any correlation with dirtbikes, BMX, etc. and a hosed back. I raced MX professionally in the 70s and 80s and I know a lot of guys that I raced with who also have the hardware (and I don't mean trophies). Mine's at L5-S1 and your assessment of the daily pain factor is right on. Hijack over. :D

·
Registered
827 Posts
I disagree the rock krawler springs have a better ride than the stock springs on my unlimited. A long arm would be your best bet for a softer ride coupled with adjustable shocks. I have back issues as well and I can drive in mine for a couple of hours without problems with the shock set in the medium range.
I disagree with your disagreement.:thefinger:
I rode in my buddies Rubi the other day that is fitted with Rock Krawler springs.....3.5 inch. I thought the Jeep rode way too firm. Even when setting the procomp shocks to a soft setting, they still did not ride as well as stock....and they were even more firm than my 6 inch Skyjacker set up. But again, much of this has to do with shock set up. A "Better Ride" is all subjective anyway. I think this guy is looking for the "softest" ride, according to him. I like a more firm and responsive suspension and not just a plush and gooshy ride. On another note, I'm swapping out my Skyjacker long arm kit for a new Rock Krawler Long Arm, coil over set up this month. Look for the full review soon.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.