JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here goes complaint number one. And this is only for the soft top. Is it just on mine or does the zipper on the back suck? At the top curve on both sides it always jambs up. Today I went to unzip the back and put the top down and both sides have skipped a tooth. I cant get the back window out. And we all know what this means. I cant put the top down. First good weather and I am stuck using the AC. Do you think this could be covered under the bumper to bumper??? Right! That doesn’t even cover the water that comes in at the front. So has this happened to anyone else? If I force it and it breaks, what are the odds the window portion break and not the top???

·
Administrator
8,749 Posts
OK here goes complaint number one. And this is only for the soft top. Is it just on mine or does the zipper on the back suck? At the top curve on both sides it always jambs up. Today I went to unzip the back and put the top down and both sides have skipped a tooth. I cant get the back window out. And we all know what this means. I cant put the top down. First good weather and I am stuck using the AC. Do you think this could be covered under the bumper to bumper??? Right! That doesn’t even cover the water that comes in at the front. So has this happened to anyone else? If I force it and it breaks, what are the odds the window portion break and not the top???
There was a problem with the back window zipper, so I was told, mine went into the realm of FUBAR and was warrantied (Moose512 handled it for me) by the dealer. Got the new rear window just before I switched to the ORH top.. so now the new rear window is for sale with the rest of the factory top,

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
The teeth on my window zippers have gotten crossed like that more than a few times and I just bubba'd it loose each time. So far, no broken windows. I dont care too much about the windows anyways....mine are all scratched up and are maybe on my jeep 30-50 days a year.

Oh yeah, I ran candle wax over them and they quit jamming in the corners.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
same happend to mine i took it in and the service manager was :sometimes you have to tug it a bit" and poof what do you know my zipper was now in his hand hahahaha and i got a new window free of charge :) becuase the bonehead broke it

A

·
0 Posts
I took my rear window out exactly twice and both times the zipped needed force. Mine is in the basement now and replaced with an ORH top. I hated the stock soft-top.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
X2...time to use McNet is BEFORE one unzips...:shaking:
Agreed...most jk problems are owner initiated...something as simple a preventive maintenance escapes most owners...radical mods are a close second, resulting in thousands of jk owners crying the blues.;)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ahhh, just steal one of your significant other's candles and rub the zippers. You may have to do more than one application. I do this a couple of times per season and it appears to do the trick. Its cheaper than $7+shipping for a commercial product and what s/he doesn't know about the missing candle won't hurt. Besides, you should have a couple of emergency candles in your kit anyway. Of course the downside is the colored wax on the vinyl. I used a red candle and it looked like I had suffered a major injury pulling the zipper :shaking:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used dish soap on my onle 87.... Hadn't needed anything yet on the 08

·
Registered
271 Posts
Rear window

You can still take down your soft top with the rear window still in. Wranglers come new with a little package of two black elastic straps that you may have seen no use for but they get attached to the rear metal soft top hoop on the inside via metal snaps. All you have to do the is unzip the sides of your rear window up to the corners, roll up your rear window and then slip it into the elastic black straps on both sides. I never completely remove my rear window! I prefer this method because I don't have to find somewhere to stuff the window inside the jeep. Due use caution though, if your window is dirty when you roll it you will have scratches!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh yeah, I ran candle wax over them and they quit jamming in the corners.
Parafin wax (the stuff you use to seal mason jars) works really well and it is cheap, available at your grocery, and clear so you don't end up with crazy colored or scented zippers. :D

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Sorry.. I don't. I highly doubt a JK window will fit a TJ though.

Anybody got dimension specs on either or both windows? Come on, people, this is IMPORTANT shit. You hardcore Jeepers should know this off the top of your head.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts