JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a bit of a problem. I plan on doing a 3000km trip (one way) this summer. I want to bring my kayak. I'm going with just a bikini top and soft doors.

I know I'll find a way to secure the kayak at the back as I'm building a trunk cover and will put some eye bolts in. I was planning on just securing the front of the kayak by going over the surrounds and in through the door opening (so this would work with the top on or off) and around the roll bars. However I have concerns on whether the door surrounds would be strong enough, and whether trying down a kayak while on the highway (with the wicked wind we get up here) would affect the top in any way and about how secure it would really be.

My next thought was just have a friend fab up some steel bars and use the existing bolts on the side of the WS frame and go up the WS, then put a hole at the top and voila. If I go this route, how thick should the steel be? And issues with this idea?

Am I missing something? Is there something else I can do to secure the kayak at the front of the JK? I would have to work for both a ST, topless and doorless. I have an Unlimited.

Any thoughts, suggestions would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've already spent way too much on my jeep lately (bikini top, soft doors, etc). A KMA light bar is in the future, but not soon enough for this trip.

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rugged Ridge light bar, one of the nicest bars Ive seen, Under $200, and it keeps the trees off your windshield
I don't want to buy something I'm going to end up replacing. But even if that wasn't the case, shipping something like that would kill me. Soft doors were 80 to ship... I'd hate to see what a 6' light bar (that weights God knows how much) would be.

I'm looking for something that's effective and fairly cheap.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Im not sure what size kayak you are going to be taking along, but how about just tying in through the latch points for your top on the windshield and running it over the yak using something like a truckers knot to pull tension on it, if its a long boat and sitting over the hood run a line through the front grab loop that 90% of kayaks have and down to the tow hooks or shackles on the front bumper if you have em. Or just get an inflatable kayak. Advanced Elements makes several great and durable options with most being less than $500. Does it require you to spend some more cash yes, but that route will also cut down on having to take a chance securing the yak on the roof, and will also improve your fuel economy since carrying anything on the top puts the suck on you MPG's If its a very long trip you may actually end up close to breaking even.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I don't want to buy something I'm going to end up replacing. But even if that wasn't the case, shipping something like that would kill me. Soft doors were 80 to ship... I'd hate to see what a 6' light bar (that weights God knows how much) would be.

I'm looking for something that's effective and fairly cheap.
bar was 180, shipping was 20 wasnt that bad. Have a good trip and have fun yacking::beer: From Qtec

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
Just foam blocks on the windshield frame and rear soft top bow. I carried 2 14' yaks like that for years

For tie downs just go to the bumper. If it's a really short boat you can go to the cage too

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've already spent way too much on my jeep lately (bikini top, soft doors, etc). A KMA light bar is in the future, but not soon enough for this trip.
just use some galvanized conduit from home depot, thats basically all a Yakima bar is, they just cover it in plastic. That stuf is pretty darn cheap

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Riptide: How long is the boat you plan to take with?

I'm not sure if you like the GOBI design lightbar, but that would be an option also if you need to have the boat sit that far forward. Shipping up to Canada isn't that bad for a lightbar.

Also, is this a one time trip? or is this something you would use more than once?

The cheapest way that I can think of would be to use foam blocks. if it is a full length boat, tie off to the bumpers and use the foam blocks to pad between the windshield support.

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Riptide: How long is the boat you plan to take with?

I'm not sure if you like the GOBI design lightbar, but that would be an option also if you need to have the boat sit that far forward. Shipping up to Canada isn't that bad for a lightbar.

Also, is this a one time trip? or is this something you would use more than once?

The cheapest way that I can think of would be to use foam blocks. if it is a full length boat, tie off to the bumpers and use the foam blocks to pad between the windshield support.
It's a 15' sea kayak. I have foam blocks that I used on the old XJ. It's more just where and how to secure the front end. I will (at some point) be buying a customized KMA light bar. I'll have the hard top off tomorrow and will be playing with the bikini top on the weekend. I'll see how trying to tie it down to the front bull bar will work.

I plan on owning a kayak for a long time as well as a JK, so I am looking for something semi permanent. The light bar will be the best bet... it's just gonna be a bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts