JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me about having a soft top in the winter, as im gonna trade off my hardtop to get one...and some cash :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have only the soft top and have no problems during the cold weather. The heat works so well I never worry about being cold.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I am in Colorado with the soft top. I have had older soft tops in the past. This one seems to stay pretty warm. It gets a little hot in the summer. As for the winter, the heaters are so good that they heat up right away. It is possible that it does not hold the heat as well as a hard top and you may have to have the heater on more often but I have never noticed. Still pretty easy to put on/take off top in the cold

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not sure how cold it gets / how much snow where you're from, but here's a few observations from my soft top experience here in the cold Northeast

-The heater does crank up pretty good, but if weather conditions are right, you may get condensation forming on the underside, and either freezing in place when you power down, or dripping on the interior (and your head). The air inside cools a lot faster with the soft top, so i'd have to shovel the snow that never melted out of the footwells, otherwise it turned to ice.

-Forget about scraping snow/ice off the polycarb, and use a softer type brush removing snow from the top (using a regular brush on the side windows gave me a few scratches) i tried to park inside to eliminate this

-A heated garage or a sunny day in the 40's is best for top up/down operations (seems to shrink pretty good the colder it gets)

Those are the biggies, but other than that, enjoy! (and if it doesn't snow &/or get that cold where you are, even better!) :jeep2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also live in Colorado. My soft top has given no trouble (bit of wind noise tho, now), and the Jeep's heater is the best I've ever had in a vehicle, so it is as toasty as any other vehicle. The heater is practically thermonuclear. :pissed: (not mad, just gettin heat). Summer was fine, too, and it has the advantage of being convertible, which is excellent! Another great Jeep "thing"...

Only trade-off is that the accessibility in the rear is more limited with the soft top. Instead of a hatch, you need to unzip the back window or just get stuff out from the back gate. Even with the window zipped down, there is a bar to move also. And you are a bit more vulnerable to thieves, I guess, but a hardcore punk could break a window as easily (and quietly) as slashing your top.

That's all I could think of, hope this helps.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a soft top and live in New Hampshire, other than a few minor leaks and through the most snow for us since 1870's.. workin fine.. it's a jeep use it or lose it:smokin:

·
Registered
387 Posts
I had a soft top on the '95 and '98 Wranglers I had in Germany. It got quite cold there and had it's fair share of snow as well. I prefered the soft tops because plastic and cloth heat up faster than glass and metal when you jump in and turn the heater on in the morning.

Also, you don't have to scrape ice off, just tap on your windows and all the snow falls right off...easy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i only have a soft top, survived a winter in upper maryland..not alot of snow, but very cold and windy. the soft top was great..you can bake cookies with the jeep heater. plus by having the soft you can transition to warmer spring weather by taking the windows & rear panel off, but leaving the top up..so you get fresh air, but not freeze..

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Some day I have to go to the winter part of the U.S. I mean I have heard of it but alas I live in AZ and it is well into the 90*’s. Been topless for a couple of weeks already.:shaking::thefinger:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Check out my avatar. That was one of about twelve similar storms this winter. No problems. :D

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Check out my avatar. That was one of about twelve similar storms this winter. No problems. :D

Same in Maine...I just started the Jeep, let her warm up for about 30 minutes, and the snow melted off the top and the hood...damn good heaters they put in the JK...wished everything else worked as well...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts